Super Bowl LIII: Rams v. Patriots 2019

Super Bowl LIII: Rams v. Patriots 2019

Courtesy of Sporting News

Courtesy of Sporting News

Courtesy of Sporting News

Courtesy of Sporting News

Zachary Meditz, Staff Writer

On February 3rd, the Los Angeles Rams and New England Patriots played each other at Super Bowl LIII in Atlanta, Georgia at the Mercedes-Benz Stadium.

The Patriots ended up victorious, marking the sixth win for quarterback Tom Brady and the Patriots’ ninth return back to the Super Bowl.

In a news conference, Patriots head coach Bill Belichick said, “They’ve worked extremely hard, they’ve been focused. They spend a lot of extra time doing things. The Rams are a hard team to prepare for, as we mentioned, and they’ve done a lot to try and put in extra time and preparation for that.”

In quarter one, Patriots running back Sony Michel got the first down for Patriots. Brady then threw an interception, which gave the Rams an advantage. But, the Rams were flagged for an illegal hit. However, Patriots place kicker Stephen Gostkowski missed a 46-yard field goal with wide receiver Julian Edelman caught the ball from Brady for a huge play from the Patriots.

In an interview, Rams head coach Sean McVay said, “I think the biggest thing is that the play selected didn’t really gives him much of a chance. I think it starts with me, and that is where you have to look back and see what are the things that we can do to be better for our players and then what can the players o better to execute.”

Throughout the second quarter, Gostkowski finally made a field that made the score 3-0, Patriots. Rams quarterback Jared Goff was bashed from behind which made another punt for LA.

As it was halfway through the game and only three points were scored, many came to see the game as boring However, Rohit Deshmukh (11) stated, “A good game doesn’t need to be a high scoring game. It was partly a bad game for non- football fans who’ve seen football games in general and Super Bowls throughout the time it started in 1967.”

During quarter three, Rams running back Todd Gurley had a couple of good runs, but  Patriots defender Patrick Chung injured his arm while tackling Gurley and he was out for the rest of the game. Rams cornerback, Marcus Peters blocked Brady’s pass, forcing them to punt. The Rams almost made a touchdown with wide receiver Brandin Cooks, but in the end, placekicker Greg Zuerlein tied the score, with 3-3 from a field goal.

In the last quarter, Brady threw the ball to Rob Gronkowski that went to the 2-yard line, with Michel making a touchdown for the Patriots, and the score is 10-3. Stephon Gilmore caught the ball for the Patriots. Patriots made a field goal and the Rams missed the field goal. The final score was 13-3.

The game entered the record books as the lowest scoring game in Super Bowl History.

Zachary Meditz, Staff Writer

Zachary Meditz is a junior at West High School and a Staff Writer for Smoke Signals. He is very interested in news and plans to pursue being a career as...

• Sports

Super Bowl LIII: Rams v. Patriots 2019

• Super Bowl LIII: Rams v. Patriots 2019

Sports

NFL Playoffs: Rams-Saints “No Call”

Sports

British Football Star Arrested for Public Intoxication

Sports

ESPN Apologizes for Use of Confederate Anthem

Sports

Ballon d’Or Winner Encounters Rude Twerking Remark

Sports

Sports Illustrated’s 2018 Sportsperson of the Year

Sports

Green Bay Packers Search For A New Head Coach

Sports

MLB asks for Donation from Cindy Hyde-Smith

Sports

New Federal Exercise Requirements

Sports

World Chess Championship

Super Bowl LIII: Rams v. Patriots 2019