Sports Illustrated’s 2018 Sportsperson of the Year

Courtesy of Wikimedia Commons

Courtesy of Wikimedia Commons

Ulia Zaman, Staff Writer

On December 10th, Sports Illustrated announced that the Golden State Warriors were to be named the “2018 Sportsperson of the Year.”

Although it may seem strange that an entire sports team, rather than a sportsperson, is receiving this honor, it is not the first time that such an incident has occurred.

This title has been given out annually since 1954 and multiple teams have received the honor, including the U.S. Olympic hockey team in 1980, the U.S. women’s national soccer team that won the World Cup in 1999, and the Boston Red Sox in 2004. This title is awarded to the athlete or team that best demonstrates the ideals of sportsmanship and achievement.

Drew Higashigawa (11), a member of the West High basketball team, stated, “The Warriors definitely deserved the award for their accomplishments. Although I’m not a fan of them, they’re fun to watch because of the way they play together and the amount of talent they have [as a] team.”

This year, the Golden State Warriors won 58 games in the regular season and continued on to complete the first Finals sweep in 11 years. A few years ago, during regular season, they set the league’s single-season wins record at 73-9.

Earlier this year, they beat the Cleveland Cavaliers and claimed the NBA championship for the third time in the past four years.

Chris Stone, Editor-in-Chief of Sports Illustrated, stated, “There are multiple individuals whom Sports Illustrated could have selected as the 2018 Sportsperson of the Year… but it was impossible to overlook the influence that the Warriors, as a collective group, have had on their sport and the broader culture over the last half-decade.”

The other 2018 award recipients include John Cena receiving the Muhammad Ali Legacy Award, Rachael Denhollander receiving Inspiration of the Year, Aaron Donald receiving Performer of the Year, Alvin Kamara receiving Breakout of the Year, and Leah Hayes receiving SportsKid of the Year.

Nick Weaver (10), another member of the West High basketball team, stated, “I think it’s really cool that Sports Illustrated recognize so many amazing athletes every year. It’s exciting to see the excellent sportsmanship that is present between all of the athletes.”

In addition to all of the award recipients being recognized for their accomplishments, the Golden State Warriors will be featured on the cover of the December 17th issue of Sports Illustrated.

Ulia Zaman, Staff Writer

Ulia Zaman is a Staff Writer for Smoke Signals and a junior at West High. She is lively and passionate about all the activities she is involved in. She...

• Sports Illustrated’s 2018 Sportsperson of the Year

Sports

British Football Star Arrested for Public Intoxication

Sports

ESPN Apologizes for Use of Confederate Anthem

Sports

Ballon d’Or Winner Encounters Rude Twerking Remark

Sports

Green Bay Packers Search For A New Head Coach

Sports

MLB asks for Donation from Cindy Hyde-Smith

Sports

New Federal Exercise Requirements

Sports

World Chess Championship

Sports

Gold Glove Awards Surprises

Sports

Spurs Win 143-142 Against the Lakers

Sports

The 48th WTA Finals Highlights