Green Bay Packers Search For A New Head Coach

Courtesy of Business Insider

Courtesy of Business Insider

Courtesy of Business Insider

Courtesy of Business Insider

Aleeza Adnan, Staff Writer

The Green Bay Packers fired their head coach Mike McCarthy after thirteen seasons. The team came to the impulsive decision after a bitter loss 20-17 to the Arizona Cardinals on Sunday, December 2. McCarthy has coached for the NFL for 25 years and became the Packers’ head coach in 2006. Under McCarthy’s instruction, the team had an account of 125 wins—the second highest winning record in franchise history.

However, this season, McCarthy lost his winning streak. A huge football fan, Michael Toth (11), commented, “McCarthy had been a decent coach in the beginning, but this season was definitely not their best. The Packers lost to a team that ranked amongst the bottom five in the NFL. This was likely due to inadequate coaching.”

There was a lack of cooperation between the coach and the players, namely Aaron Rodgers, the highest-paid player in the NFL. The quarterback has been awarded NFL’s most valuable played twice. However, McCarthy was rebuked for not being able to benefit Rodgers with his coaching.

The team’s loss to the Arizona Cardinals was the final stroke and they immediately discharged McCarthy after the game.   

Packers President Mark Murphy announced, “The 2018 season has not lived up to the expectations and standards of the Green Bay Packers. As a result, I made the difficult decision to relieve Mike McCarthy of his role as head coach, effective immediately.”

Due to the sudden loss of a coach near the end of the season, fans are worried that the team may not be able to perform well in the 2019 Super Bowl.

A former football player and fan of the NFL, Brandon Park (11), commented, “Rodgers is a great player, but he’s getting old. The Packers need to work as a team instead of solely relying on one of the quarterbacks to go to the Super Bowl.”

The Packers are currently on the lookout for a new head coach. In the meanwhile, Joe Philbin has taken over and has removed Winston Moss from his associate head coach position. The Packers have also hired a new general manager, Brian Gutekunst, and made, Ted Thompson, a former NFL player, the advisor.

The Packers are going through dramatic changes to get their team in shape. They have agreed to look for a coach on the basis of good leadership skills, rather than fame in the industry. Rodgers has not been offering input on this search, but is working with the rest of the Packers to regain their pristine reputation.

Aleeza Adnan, Staff Writer

Aleeza Adnan is a junior at West High and a Staff Writer for Smoke Signals. She is also on the West High Speech and Debate team and is very passionate...

• Green Bay Packers Search For A New Head Coach

Sports

British Football Star Arrested for Public Intoxication

Sports

ESPN Apologizes for Use of Confederate Anthem

Sports

Ballon d’Or Winner Encounters Rude Twerking Remark

Sports

Sports Illustrated’s 2018 Sportsperson of the Year

Sports

MLB asks for Donation from Cindy Hyde-Smith

Sports

New Federal Exercise Requirements

Sports

World Chess Championship

Sports

Gold Glove Awards Surprises

Sports

Spurs Win 143-142 Against the Lakers

Sports

The 48th WTA Finals Highlights