Gold Glove Awards Surprises

Gold Glove Awards Surprises

Courtesy of Flickr

Courtesy of Flickr

Courtesy of Flickr

Courtesy of Flickr

Ulia Zaman, Staff Writer

On November 4th, the winners of the 2018 Rawlings Gold Glove Awards were announced. The Gold Gloves are annual Baseball awards that take place at the end of the season and are based on the individual performance of each player throughout the season. Although there were some unexpected surprises in the list of winners, there were also many ecstatic cheers to be heard as the winners were announced.

The Red Sox team players won three Golden Glove awards, namely Jackie Bradley Jr., Mookie Betts, and Ian Kinsler

Riki Yoshida (11), a member of the West High baseball team, said, “[It is] always exciting to see all of these people that share the same love for a sport come together to celebrate all of their victories and triumphs. The excellent display of sportsmanship at the Gold Glove Awards is always touching to see.”

For a long time, Bradley has been thought of as the best defensive outfielder in the history of the sport. Just one week after the Red Sox won against the LA Dodgers and secured the 2018 World Series, Bradley was honored with his first Gold Glove Award of his career.

Bradley said, “It means a whole lot. [I am] a player who definitely takes a lot of pride in my defense and being able to help the team on both sides of the ball. Have a lot of great center fielders that [I am] in competition with, and [it is] an honor to even be mentioned in the same name as those guys. So [it is] pretty unique and [I am] excited.”

This year the Red Sox lead the Gold Glove Awards with a total of five finalists. Each position that is awarded is allowed three finalists once the entire voting process is over. The winner is then decided by coaches and managers.

Along with Bradley, teammates Betts and Kinsler, were also honored with Gold Glove Awards; Betts was awarded for right field for the third year in a row and Kinsler for second base for the second consecutive year.  

Joshua Morales (12) said, “As a fan of baseball since I was young, I had always enjoyed watching the sport and playing with my family and friends. It makes me happy to see these amazing athletes finally receiving the recognition they deserve.”

Like Joshua, all of the fans of baseball enthusiastically await the results of the Gold Glove Awards each year. The Gold Glove Awards not only give a chance for all of the talented athletes in the sport to be proud of the accomplishments they have achieved over the course of the season, but it also encourages them to continue working hard to further improve themselves.

Ulia Zaman, Staff Writer

Ulia Zaman is a Staff Writer for Smoke Signals and a junior at West High. She is lively and passionate about all the activities she is involved in. She...

• Gold Glove Awards Surprises

Sports

Tiger Woods is Back:Winner of 2019 Masters Championship

• Gold Glove Awards Surprises

Sports

Patriots’ Tight End Rob Gronkowski Retiring

• Gold Glove Awards Surprises

Sports

Olympic Cyclist Dead at 23

• Sports

Super Bowl LIII: Rams v. Patriots 2019

• Gold Glove Awards Surprises

Sports

Super Bowl LIII: Rams v. Patriots 2019

• Gold Glove Awards Surprises

Sports

NFL Playoffs: Rams-Saints “No Call”

• Gold Glove Awards Surprises

Sports

British Football Star Arrested for Public Intoxication

• Gold Glove Awards Surprises

Sports

ESPN Apologizes for Use of Confederate Anthem

• Gold Glove Awards Surprises

Sports

Ballon d’Or Winner Encounters Rude Twerking Remark

• Gold Glove Awards Surprises

Sports

Sports Illustrated’s 2018 Sportsperson of the Year

Gold Glove Awards Surprises