U.S. Women’s Soccer Team Wins Championship

Courtesy of Team USA

Courtesy of Team USA

Zack Allen, Staff Writer

After five matches spanning from October 4th to the 17th, the United States Women’s National Soccer Team won the final championship match of the Confederation Of North, Central American And Caribbean Association Football (CONCACAF) Women’s Championship.

The first match of the championship was on October 4th and pitted the U.S. team against Mexico. Once the final whistle had been sounded, the U.S. team had beat Mexico 6-0. This marked the start of a winning streak.

Throughout the next two matches, the U.S. beat every other team. The women of our nation simply would not allow other teams to score, as they won 7- 0 against Trinidad and Tobago and 5-0 against Panama.

Finally, on the 14th, the U.S. had the match that would determine if they would be qualified for the World Cup against Jamaica. The team did not wait long to rush to the opposing goal. Before halftime, the team had scored 5 goals. While momentum slowed in the second half, the U.S. still won the game with a score of 6-0.That match alone was enough for the U.S. to be qualified for the World Cup.

Dahlia Pacheco (12), a  fan of soccer, said, “I was really happy to see they that they won since they have won the world cup many times.”

It is beyond evident that the women have worked hard to become the best they can. But even with such work it still requires talented player, which the coach of the team, Megan Rapinoe, comments on saying, “I think this team is pound for pound more talented than any team that [I have] been on with, with the national team — across the board, all the way through the positions.”

The U.S. still had one final match to win the CONCACAF Championship. For the final match our team went against Canada. This proved to be the hardest match for the team. It had finished and the women had their lowest score of the championship, but still won with a score of 2-0.

A supporter of the United States Women’s National Soccer Team, Leslie Pearson (10), said, “The U.S. did not do do as good as I thought they could have even though they won.”

A win is a win and hopefully the women can bring this same type of streak into the world cup. The Women’s World Cup will start on June 1st of 2019 and can be watched on most sports channels.

Zack Allen, Staff Writer

Zack Allen is a Staff Writer for Smoke Signals and a junior at West High. On top of that, he is a member of Play Production and the Vice President of Film...

• U.S. Women’s Soccer Team Wins Championship

Sports

Tiger Woods is Back:Winner of 2019 Masters Championship

Sports

Patriots’ Tight End Rob Gronkowski Retiring

Sports

Olympic Cyclist Dead at 23

• Sports

Super Bowl LIII: Rams v. Patriots 2019

Sports

Super Bowl LIII: Rams v. Patriots 2019

Sports

NFL Playoffs: Rams-Saints “No Call”

Sports

British Football Star Arrested for Public Intoxication

Sports

ESPN Apologizes for Use of Confederate Anthem

Sports

Ballon d’Or Winner Encounters Rude Twerking Remark

Sports

Sports Illustrated’s 2018 Sportsperson of the Year