Saudi Arabian Prince Taking Over Manchester United?

Courtesy of USA Today

Courtesy of USA Today

Ulia Zaman, Staff Writer

Saudi Arabian Crown Prince Mohammad Bin Salman, whose family is worth approximately $1.5 trillion, has his eye and money on the richest football club in the world: Manchester United.

Bin Salman is the son of King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, but due to the fact that his father suffers from Alzheimer’s, he is, in reality, the most influential and important person in Saudi Arabia. He also serves as the country’s Minister of Defense, rising to power in 2017 after a power struggle with cousin Muhammad Bin Nayef, who was named the Crown Prince initially. Many supporters of the team and the sport are unsure on how to feel about this new announcement as it is unclear how the members of the team will react to such a dramatic change.

Nikita Gounder (11), a big fan of soccer, said, “I think that sports and politics should stay separate to preserve the community feeling of sports. When politics are involved, the game is no longer fun.”

To take over Manchester United, a grand total of £4 billion must be paid by the Salman family to the current American owner, the Glazer family. Next week, the United’s co-chairman, Avram Glazer, will visit Saudi Arabia for an investor conference, dubbed “Davos in the Desert.” Although there has not been any official confirmation of a meeting taking place, reports have suggested that he may discuss the possibility of a take over with Bin Salman. The very real possibility of a political figure entering the sacred world of sports has made some fans worry about how the sport will be affected by this.

Andrew Kang (11) said, “I think it would definitely benefit the team financially, however, there is always the unknown of how having a new owner will affect their overall performance. I personally think that this would not truly benefit his image since he has no personal connection to the team.”

It is still uncertain if Bin Salman will personally take over Manchester United; however, many believe that he will most likely be backed by a state bid or a prominent individual in the country.   

According to EPL News, “Buying into United would be a massive statement in the wider financial and political battles being fought between the Gulf states.” Clearly, an investment as large as this will reap benefits for the country, including foreign investments and media coverage.

Ulia Zaman, Staff Writer

Ulia Zaman is a Staff Writer for Smoke Signals and a junior at West High. She is lively and passionate about all the activities she is involved in. She...

• Saudi Arabian Prince Taking Over Manchester United?

Sports

Gold Glove Awards Surprises

Sports

Spurs Win 143-142 Against the Lakers

Sports

The 48th WTA Finals Highlights

Sports

U.S. Women’s Soccer Team Wins Championship

Sports

Warriors Take the Homecoming Win

Sports

Tuesday Night Opener: Thunder vs. Warriors

Sports

Dodgers Slam the Rockies at Tiebraker Game

Sports

Tiger Woods’ First Victory in Five Years

Sports

Monday Night Football: Steelers vs. Buccaneers

Sports

Team Europe Defeats World in 2018 Laver Cup