West Takes the Win from Mira Costa

Ashley Driesler, Staff Writer

On Friday, September 14th, the West High Warrior’s varsity football team played the Mira Costa Mustangs on home turf for the fourth game of the 2018 season. The Warriors won with an end score of 45 to 39. This set a record of two wins and two losses for the year.

West started off strong, almost immediately achieving a touchdown within the first few minutes of the game. However, the Mustangs were quick to keep up and were able to tighten the gap. By the end of the first quarter, the Mustangs overtook the Warriors with a score of 10 to 7.

Mira Costa’s success did not last long as West ultimately recovered and held the winning score for the rest of the game after scoring a touchdown. The Mustangs kept fighting, keeping the home-side’s audience on their toes.

One of the stadium members,  Morgan Miller (12), stated, “I thought it was interesting to see both sides scoring one after another, catching up with each other. It made the game a lot more suspenseful.”

With a win for the Warriors, the home-side audience erupted in celebration. Students finished off the night by reciting West High’s alma mater. Many members of the football team were also excited about the win.       

Matthew Salazar (11), the defensive end and backup left tackle, stated, “I think we really pulled through. We gave up a lot of points, but in the end, we still played our butts off so it was worth it.”

However, the football players still had a lot to learn from this game. Eric Kelso (11), the offensive right tackle, said there were many missed opportunities during the game, stating “there [were] a couple times where we could have gotten block points, [and] we were really close. I think if we dived for the ball, it would have been awesome.”

The next football game will be held at Redondo High School on September 21st, 2018 at 7:00pm, where they have the opportunity to continue their success from this game and take another win.

Ashley Driesler, Staff Writer

Ashley Driesler is a Staff Writer in Smoke Signals and currently a junior at West High. She is passionate about writing and wrestling.

• Sports

Super Bowl LIII: Rams v. Patriots 2019

• West Takes the Win from Mira Costa

Sports

Super Bowl LIII: Rams v. Patriots 2019

• West Takes the Win from Mira Costa

Sports

NFL Playoffs: Rams-Saints “No Call”

• West Takes the Win from Mira Costa

Sports

British Football Star Arrested for Public Intoxication

• West Takes the Win from Mira Costa

Sports

ESPN Apologizes for Use of Confederate Anthem

• West Takes the Win from Mira Costa

Sports

Ballon d’Or Winner Encounters Rude Twerking Remark

• West Takes the Win from Mira Costa

Sports

Sports Illustrated’s 2018 Sportsperson of the Year

• West Takes the Win from Mira Costa

Sports

Green Bay Packers Search For A New Head Coach

• West Takes the Win from Mira Costa

Sports

MLB asks for Donation from Cindy Hyde-Smith

• West Takes the Win from Mira Costa

Sports

New Federal Exercise Requirements

West Takes the Win from Mira Costa