West Girls’ Softball Won CIF Finals

West Girls’ Softball Won CIF Finals

Courtesy of Dane Cowing

Courtesy of Dane Cowing

Courtesy of Dane Cowing

Courtesy of Dane Cowing

Christine Nguyen, Staff Writer

After previously beating Atascadero High School in the semifinals with a score of 6-4, West Torrance softball advanced onto CIF. On Friday, June 1st, the CIF Southern Section Division Three softball championship game was held at Deanna Manning Stadium. The game concluded with a close score of 6-4.

The first inning ended with the West High Warriors scoring 1-0. Shortstop, Sommer Kisling (12) batted first and  advanced to first with a base hit up the middle. Pitcher Mailee Newman (12), who played in the game, said, “We treated it like another game, but for me I personally felt a little more pressure than other games because I knew it was going to be my last high school game ever.” Newman returned for her senior season after going 22-8 with an impressive 1.57 ERA (earned run average) and 205 strikeouts last year.

West scored 3-0 in the third inning. Brianna Magee (12), who plays center field, helped attain this score by hitting an RBI double. The crowd went crazy as Magee dashed to second base. Newman also said, “[Our] team worked so hard to get to where we did and I would not have wanted to end my high school softball career with any other girls by my side!”

As the game progressed, the Warriors scored another run in the fifth inning. West was in the lead with a score of  6-2 in the sixth inning. Newman managed to get a strikeout and forced another batter to hit into a forceout, allowing her team to move onto the seventh inning. Kisling then ended the game against Redlands East Valley High Wildcats with a slow ground ball. The team loudly cheered and rushed over to dogpile on top of Magee.

Newman was shocked to realize that her team had won and stated, “This was something we have been working for since day one and it honestly did not hit me right away.”

Mr. Belcher, a softball coach and US History teacher at West, was also excited about the win and stated, “This was a great year for us. We had a school record of 15 wins in a row and 30 wins this season. We also won league for the first time in about 30 years. This group really has accomplished a lot and the legacy that they leave behind after this year will last for a really long time.”

Although Belcher’s varsity team mostly consists of experienced senior players, it also includes freshmen players Hailey Cowing (9) and pitcher Camille Nolte (9).

Nolte, who sat out during the game, said, “[I think what made our team so successful this year was us] working together and always fighting alongside one another. I am just very proud of our team and [I want to thank] everyone who supported us along the way!”

Although the Warriors encountered a couple of obstacles throughout the game, they came out on the other side with a score of 6-4.  They now hope to continue their luck at State.

Christine Nguyen, Staff Writer

Christine Nguyen is a sophomore staff writer for Smoke Signals. She enjoys listening to music, reading, and dancing. She plays tennis as well as the piano...

• West Girls’ Softball Won CIF Finals

Sports

Disney and their Live-Action Remakes

• West Girls’ Softball Won CIF Finals

Sports

Green Bay Packers Search For A New Head Coach

• West Girls’ Softball Won CIF Finals

Sports

MLB asks for Donation from Cindy Hyde-Smith

• West Girls’ Softball Won CIF Finals

Sports

New Federal Exercise Requirements

• West Girls’ Softball Won CIF Finals

Sports

World Chess Championship

• West Girls’ Softball Won CIF Finals

Sports

Gold Glove Awards Surprises

• West Girls’ Softball Won CIF Finals

Sports

Spurs Win 143-142 Against the Lakers

• West Girls’ Softball Won CIF Finals

Sports

The 48th WTA Finals Highlights

• West Girls’ Softball Won CIF Finals

Sports

U.S. Women’s Soccer Team Wins Championship

• West Girls’ Softball Won CIF Finals

Sports

Saudi Arabian Prince Taking Over Manchester United?

West Girls’ Softball Won CIF Finals