A Shocking Victory for Team USA

James Lang / USA Today

James Lang / USA Today

Anna Kim, Staff Writer

On Saturday, February 24, the United States men’s curling team won the gold medal at the PyeongChang 2018 Olympic Winter Games. With a score of 10-7, this was the first time in American history that the United States won a gold medal for curling.

Team USA consisted of John Shuster, Tyler George, Matt Hamilton, John Landsteiner, and Joe Polo. For years, the United States has been the underdogs in curling. No one expected them to win, not even the team themselves.

In an interview, the second of the US curling team, Hamilton, said, “It’s unbelievable, this whole last four years. Just being on the cusp at the world championships. Getting bronze one year, coming fourth and fifth the other two years. We knew we were close, and to make the breakthrough here at the Olympics is just amazing.”

This has been Shuster’s fourth Olympic appearance. As the skip of the US curling team, he helped the US win the bronze medal at the 2006 Turin Games, but placed last in 2010 Winter Olympics and next-to-last place in 2014.

A fan of Shuster, Nehme Awad (11), said, “This 12-year battle for victory for Shuster really did pay off. I believe he dominated American curling this year and deserves all the praise he gets.”

The game was at 5-5 through seven ends. Shuster greatly contributed to this year’s game when he cleared two Swedish stones with his final rock of the eighth end to score 5 points. This helped team USA to beat the top-ranked team in the world.

A viewer of the Winter Olympics, Michelle Kim (11), said, “I’m not a huge fan of curling, but I think Team USA played amazing. I know they haven’t been the best at curling, but their teamwork and Shuster’s leadership led to their victory.”

While the 2018 Winter Olympics may be over for curling, the battle for victory is not over for Team USA as they have many games planned for the future.

Anna Kim, Co-Editor in Chief

Anna Kim is the Co-Editor in Chief for Smokes Signals and a senior at West High. Kim enjoys listening to The Fray and watching her favorite TV show, The...

• A Shocking Victory for Team USA

Sports

Disney and their Live-Action Remakes

• A Shocking Victory for Team USA

Sports

Green Bay Packers Search For A New Head Coach

• A Shocking Victory for Team USA

Sports

MLB asks for Donation from Cindy Hyde-Smith

• A Shocking Victory for Team USA

Sports

New Federal Exercise Requirements

• A Shocking Victory for Team USA

Sports

World Chess Championship

• A Shocking Victory for Team USA

Sports

Gold Glove Awards Surprises

• A Shocking Victory for Team USA

Sports

Spurs Win 143-142 Against the Lakers

• A Shocking Victory for Team USA

Sports

The 48th WTA Finals Highlights

• A Shocking Victory for Team USA

Sports

U.S. Women’s Soccer Team Wins Championship

• A Shocking Victory for Team USA

Sports

Saudi Arabian Prince Taking Over Manchester United?

A Shocking Victory for Team USA