Eagles Soar at Super Bowl LII

Patrick Smith / Getty Images

Patrick Smith / Getty Images

Anoushka Gupta, Staff Writer

On Tuesday, February 4, the Philadelphia Eagles defeated the New England Patriots in Super Bowl LII, ending the game by a close victory at 41-33.

Their victory marks the first Super Bowl victory for the Eagles as well as an end to the Patriots long-lasting reign in the NFL.

The Eagles were led by quarterback Nick Foles, who also won Most Valuable Player and orchestrated many key plays, notably a touchdown to tight end Zach Ertz in the last 5 minutes of the game that allowed the Eagle’s to take the lead. Foles also scored a touchdown after he caught a pass by tight end Trey Burton, making Foles the first person to both pass and make a touchdown in a Super Bowl game.   

When asked about the victory, Foles said, “I felt calm all night. We are such a great group of guys. We felt confident. We just went out there and played football. We’ve been dreaming of this since we were little kids.”

The Patriots were disappointed at their loss, especially since the score was so close. Patriots head coach Bill Belichick took credit for the loss and said, “Obviously we didn’t do a good enough job coaching, missed a lot of opportunities offensively in the first half, didn’t play good enough defense, [and] didn’t play good enough in the kicking game. In the end, we just couldn’t quite make enough plays, and that was all on me. Disappointing, but I’m proud of the way our team competed.”

Long-time Patriot fan, Isha Pendum (10) was also disappointed and said, “I’m upset that the Patriots lost, but not as much as I thought I would be. The Eagles played a good game and I guess I can see why they won. Still, hopefully the Patriots will make a comeback next year!”

The Patriots played well, especially quarterback Tom Brady. Brady played what many consider to be his best game, throwing a record-breaking 500 yards.

Dong-ho Kang (12) said, “I feel like Tom Brady played one of his best games, but it still wasn’t enough in the end. I think Brady lost some of his ability after being strip-sacked.”

Despite the fact that most people expected the Patriots to win as reigning champions, the Philadelphia Eagles still managed to pull an underdog victory, capping off their 13-3 season.

• Eagles Soar at Super Bowl LII

Sports

West Volleyball Wins Against Saxons

• Eagles Soar at Super Bowl LII

Sports

A Clean Slate for the Dodgers

• Eagles Soar at Super Bowl LII

Sports

Shohei Ohtani’s Rise to Stardom

• Eagles Soar at Super Bowl LII

Sports

The Villanova Wildcats: NCAA Basketball Champions

• Eagles Soar at Super Bowl LII

#MeToo Movement Hits Sports Industry

• Eagles Soar at Super Bowl LII

Sports

The Game That Made History

• Eagles Soar at Super Bowl LII

Sports

Massive Moves in NFL Free Agency

• Eagles Soar at Super Bowl LII

Sports

U.S. Wins Gold In Paralympics

• Eagles Soar at Super Bowl LII

Sports

West Girls’ Basketball Wins CIF

• Eagles Soar at Super Bowl LII

Sports

One-Handed Shaquem Griffin Impresses at NFL Combine

Eagles Soar at Super Bowl LII