Roger Federer Redefines the Limits

Courtesy of Forbes

Courtesy of Forbes

Courtesy of Forbes

Anna Kim, Staff Writer

On Sunday, January 29, Roger Federer, a Swiss professional tennis player, beat Marin Cilic at the Australian Open in the Rod Laver Arena. With scores of 6-2, 6-7, 6-3, 3-6, and 6-1, he was able to win his 20th Grand Slam and is currently in a three-way tie with Novak Djokovic and Roy Emerson for most wins of Men’s Singles titles in the Australian Open.

Federer won the first set in 24 minutes. Cilic came back in the second match and won 7-6. While Federer forced his way back into the lead, winning the third set, Cilic won the fourth set. The fifth set was the tie-breaker. Federer held a two-point lead.  Though Cilic challenged the call on matchpoint saying the ball was in, the Hawk-Eye replay showed the play was against his favor, and Federer had won the 2018 Australian Open.

A fan of Cilic, Jared Salguero (11), said, “I really thought that [Cilic] would be able to win. He had a slow start, but was able to catch up to Federer most of the times. The good thing is that he is only 29, so he still has time to practice and improve a lot for next time.”

Federer’s victory emotionally affected him as he broke down in tears during the trophy ceremony and thanked his fans for the support. He received his Norman Brookes Challenge Cup and met his family afterwards.

In an interview, Federer stated, “I enjoy practice, don’t mind the travel. I have a great team around me. They make it possible. At the end, it’s seeing that my parents are incredibly proud and happy that I’m still doing it. They enjoy coming to tournaments. That makes me happy and play better.”

With Federer’s new win, he has set a new record in tennis history. At 36 years old, Federer is now the oldest men’s Australian Open champion since Ken Rosewall in 1972.

A supporter of Federer, Jason Marks (11), stated, “While I think that Federer is an amazing player, I really thought this was an even match because they are both really good players. The bad thing for Cilic was that Federer had more experience than him. Despite the results, I think both players played the best they could.”

Even though Federer recently won, he is uncertain of his plans for the rest of 2018. Federer wants to continue playing tennis and is planning on returning to Australia in 12 months for the 2019 Australian Open.

• Roger Federer Redefines the Limits

Sports

West Girls’ Softball Won CIF Finals

• Roger Federer Redefines the Limits

Sports

West Volleyball Wins Against Saxons

• Roger Federer Redefines the Limits

Sports

A Clean Slate for the Dodgers

• Roger Federer Redefines the Limits

Sports

Shohei Ohtani’s Rise to Stardom

• Roger Federer Redefines the Limits

Sports

The Villanova Wildcats: NCAA Basketball Champions

• Roger Federer Redefines the Limits

#MeToo Movement Hits Sports Industry

• Roger Federer Redefines the Limits

Sports

The Game That Made History

• Roger Federer Redefines the Limits

Sports

Massive Moves in NFL Free Agency

• Roger Federer Redefines the Limits

Sports

U.S. Wins Gold In Paralympics

• Roger Federer Redefines the Limits

Sports

West Girls’ Basketball Wins CIF

Roger Federer Redefines the Limits