Vikings Secure Win Against Saints

Courtesy of CBS Sports

Courtesy of CBS Sports

Derick E. Hingle

Derick E. Hingle

Courtesy of CBS Sports

Anna Kim, Staff Writer

On Sunday, January 14, the Minnesota Vikings played against the New Orleans Saints. With a final score of 29-24, the Vikings ended the day with a victory and made their way to the NFC North conference championships for the first time since 2009.

In the first half of the game, the Vikings held a 17-0 lead. The Vikings’ running backs, Jerick McKinnon and Latavius Murray, both scored a touchdown in the first half of the game. In the second half of the game, the Saints came back, making the score 24-22, with the Saints taking the lead.

The last few seconds determined the outcome of the game. Case Keenum, the Vikings quarterback, passed the ball to their wide receiver, Stefon Diggs. Marcus Williams, Saints cornerback, dropped his head before tackling Diggs. This caused him to make slight contact with Diggs, but he ended up running into his teammate instead.

Diggs stated in an interview, “I felt the guy brush past me. I took a picture before I turned around to catch the ball. There was only one guy there. If he slipped, I’m going to try to stay up.”

Despite Williams’ mistake, his team was behind him and supported him in his mistake. Saints fans have also showed their support by putting messages up on billboard signs.

As a Vikings fan, Laura Jensen (11) said, “This was by far one of the best playoff games ever. Diggs’ touchdown brought an epic finale to the game. I really do believe that the Vikings have a chance at winning the Superbowl after witnessing Diggs’ last minute touchdown.”

Unfortunately, Williams’ tackle cost the Saints their season and their opportunity at making the conference championships.

A supporter of the Saints, Nehme Awad (11), said, “I had a lot of confidence that the Saints would win. It is a bit disappointing at their loss and at Williams’ mistake, but mistakes happen. I hope that he can recover from this game and prepare for next year.”

Tune into FOX on Sunday, January 21 at 3:40 p.m. Pacific time to watch the Vikings go head-to-head against the Philadelphia Eagles.

Anna Kim, Co-Editor in Chief

Anna Kim is the Co-Editor in Chief for Smokes Signals and a senior at West High. Kim enjoys listening to The Fray and watching her favorite TV show, The...

• Vikings Secure Win Against Saints

Sports

Gold Glove Awards Surprises

• Vikings Secure Win Against Saints

Sports

Spurs Win 143-142 Against the Lakers

• Vikings Secure Win Against Saints

Sports

The 48th WTA Finals Highlights

• Vikings Secure Win Against Saints

Sports

U.S. Women’s Soccer Team Wins Championship

• Vikings Secure Win Against Saints

Sports

Saudi Arabian Prince Taking Over Manchester United?

• Vikings Secure Win Against Saints

Sports

Warriors Take the Homecoming Win

• Vikings Secure Win Against Saints

Sports

Tuesday Night Opener: Thunder vs. Warriors

• Vikings Secure Win Against Saints

Sports

Dodgers Slam the Rockies at Tiebraker Game

• Vikings Secure Win Against Saints

Sports

Tiger Woods’ First Victory in Five Years

• Vikings Secure Win Against Saints

Sports

Monday Night Football: Steelers vs. Buccaneers

Vikings Secure Win Against Saints