The New Evan Hansen Takes The Stage

Broadwayworld.com

Broadwayworld.com

Haley Guinn, Staff Writer

Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in this article are of the writer and do not necessarily represent the opinions of the staff of Smoke Signals.  

On November 19th, fans of the six Tony award-winning show Dear Evan Hansen said goodbye to their talented lead, Ben Platt. Platt, also known for his role as ‘Benji’ in Pitch Perfect, gained much popularity in the Broadway and art community for originating the title role of ‘Evan Hansen’.

Dear Evan Hansen is a story of a teenager (Evan) who suffers from social anxiety and finds himself involved with the suicide of a fellow classmate.

Platt was known for his raw connection and brilliant character choices in the show. Nikki Mackenzie (11), a fan of Platt and Broadway shows, said, “I was never able to see the full show but from the many clips I watched and the articles I read, I found him to be the perfect actor for this part. He was completely committed, and when I see him perform as Evan, I see no separation between the two. He was inspiring in his choices and his intimate knowledge of the character.”  

Noah Galvin from ABC’s The Real O’Neals is Platt’s replacement. This would be Galvin’s first job on Broadway, adding to  many people’s reservations of his performance. However, he has experience working and performing in off-Broadway shows.

Sarah Geltz (12), a member of West High’s Advanced Theatre Department, had the opportunity to see Platt as Evan on Broadway before his departure.

She commented, “I am super bummed because I actually got to see Ben as Evan on Broadway and he gave an absolutely incredible performance, one that I feel could never be replicated by another actor. However, his leave was inevitable and Noah seems like a very talented actor. I have been hearing that he plays Evan [sort of] differently than Ben, which is a cool concept because it brings a new depth to the character.”

Evan Hansen has become a character that many have emotionally connected to and fallen in love with.

James Garrity (12) said, “I connect to Evan Hansen because I have felt alone in the past. I also struggle with creating relationships with people so it is nice to hear in a musical that someone else struggles with that. I feel very sad about Ben Platt leaving, and a bit weirded out seeing another person take his role. Whenever I think of Evan Hansen, I think of Ben Platt.”

With large shoes to be filled, Galvin made his Broadway debut on November 21st as the new ‘Evan Hansen’ at the Music Box Theatre in New York. Though he received minor backlash, Galvin is fitting in nicely with the show and the cast.  

Galvin will star in the show until mid-January, when Taylor Trensch (who is currently starring in Hello, Dolly! on Broadway,) will take over.

Ben Platt will be heavily be missed by fans and it is hard to imagine any other actor connecting to Evan on the same level, but Galvin has until January to prove us wrong.

Haley Guinn, Co-Editor in Chief

Haley Guinn is the Co-Editor in Chief for Smoke Signals and a senior at West High. She is also an active member in West High's Advanced Theatre Program,...

• The New Evan Hansen Takes The Stage

‘Megyn Kelly Today’ Canceled from NBC

• The New Evan Hansen Takes The Stage

Red Dead Redemption 2 And Its Many Details

• The New Evan Hansen Takes The Stage

Simone Biles Perseveres In The World Championships

• The New Evan Hansen Takes The Stage

Demi Moore Shares Her Story of Struggles and Successes

• The New Evan Hansen Takes The Stage

Joji Drops Debut Album

• The New Evan Hansen Takes The Stage

Selma Blair Opens Up About Her Battle with Multiple Sclerosis

• The New Evan Hansen Takes The Stage

The Issues With Horror Films of Today

• The New Evan Hansen Takes The Stage

Delayed Release of Wonder Woman 1984

• The New Evan Hansen Takes The Stage

Halloween Slashes Its Way Back Into Theaters

• The New Evan Hansen Takes The Stage

A Wicked Return

The New Evan Hansen Takes The Stage