The Decreasing US Cancer Death Rate

Courtesy of Star Tribune

Courtesy of Star Tribune

Safia Ahmed, Staff Writer

The cancer death rate in the United States has sunk over a 25-year period demonstrating a 27 percent slump.

Cancer is the second most deadliest disease in the world. Since 2016, the cancer death rate has dropped 1.5 percent each year.

According to the American Cancer Society, the cancer that causes high amounts of death rates for both women and men is lung cancer whereas the lowest amount of deaths are caused by liver and intrahepatic bile duct cancer.

Lung cancer is primarily caused by smoking, although there have been lowering smoking rates in the US.

Based on Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), in 2005 the daily smoker would smoke about 17 cigarettes per day, but as each year has passed, the smoking rates have decreased. In 2016, people smoked 14 cigarettes a day rather than 17.

Obesity is one of the prime causes of cancer located mainly in the pancreas, uterus, and thyroid. However, obese women are more likely to develop breast cancer.

The American Cancer Society states, “The drop in cancer mortality is mostly due to steady reductions in smoking and advances in early reductions and treatment.”

Uzair Pasta (11) believes that technology was a major support to those struggling with cancer.

He said, “As technology improves so does the quality of life as we know in this fast-paced world, we have many technological advancements everyday. Each day we strive closer to finding the cure, all we can do is work together and help those in need.”

Technology has led to the discovery of several cancer treatments for many people.

Chloee Collins (11) believes that cancer will be easier to fight through in the future.

She says, “When I hear that technology has advanced throughout the years and has now been used to treat cancer, I feel good because not only is it saving those who have cancer but it is saving the world.”

Cancer is a journey that one must go through, harsh moments and all. With technology and several other treatments, there is hope for those who are fighting cancer.

Safia Ahmed, Staff Writer

Safia Ahmed is a sophomore at West and a Staff Writer for Smoke Signals. She is very passionate about literature and the impact it can have on people....

• The Decreasing US Cancer Death Rate

New Research Study Links Chronotypes To Cardiometabolic Health

• The Decreasing US Cancer Death Rate

Tragedy At The Gable House Bowl

• The Decreasing US Cancer Death Rate

2019 Government Shutdown Continues

• The Decreasing US Cancer Death Rate

Astronomers Identify a New Dwarf Planet

• The Decreasing US Cancer Death Rate

Stranger Shoved Into Road For No Reason

• The Decreasing US Cancer Death Rate

Paris Fuel Tax Protests

• The Decreasing US Cancer Death Rate

Polio-like Virus Strikes Across The Nation

• The Decreasing US Cancer Death Rate

Theresa May’s Brexit Deal

• The Decreasing US Cancer Death Rate

Chaos Erupts at U.S/Mexico Border With Migrant Caravan

• The Decreasing US Cancer Death Rate

10 Year Old Saves Senior Citizens’ Lives

The Decreasing US Cancer Death Rate