2019 Government Shutdown Continues

Courtesy of Yokota Air Base

Courtesy of Yokota Air Base

Ulia Zaman, Staff Writer

On Sunday, January 6th, the continuing government shutdown, caused by the debate over five billion dollars in funding for a border wall, reached the record of the third longest in history with no end expected soon.

The shutdown began on December 22nd when nine federal departments and several smaller agencies (almost a quarter of the federal government) had to shut down due to lack of money and the ongoing budget dispute between the White House and Congress.

According to White House Press Secretary Sarah Sanders, President Donald Trump is willing to allow the shutdown for as long as he needs to in order to achieve his goal of building a wall along the U.S.-Mexico border. This has led to many heated debates and discussions in the public as well as the political world.

Uzair Pasta (11) said, “The wall that President Trump wants to build will only incite more hate and ignorance. The rhetoric that President Trump uses only places fear in the America people, but we need to remember our core values and what this county was founded on.”

On the other hand, Democrats believe that building a border wall is an ineffective use of resources. They insist that there are other options for increasing border safety, such as improved technology (i.e. drones and tunnel detection) to monitor the border. Although the Democrats requested a budget justification from the White House on Saturday, since these funds were not included in the administration’s 2019 budget, the White House has not yet provided a justification.

The shutdown has left over 800,000 federal workers with no jobs. About 420,000 employees are continuing work without pay and approximately 380,000 employees have been told to stay at home.

Serena Rupani (11) stated, “This is going to do nothing but divide Americans. It is going to create fear among Americans and create problems instead of solving them. For example, the wall will cost billions of dollars and won’t accomplish anything.”

Although it does not seem like a compromise may be possible any time soon, federal workers are maintaining their hope that this issue will be resolved quickly and they will be able to return to work once again.

Ulia Zaman, Staff Writer

Ulia Zaman is a Staff Writer for Smoke Signals and a junior at West High. She is lively and passionate about all the activities she is involved in. She...

• 2019 Government Shutdown Continues

New Research Study Links Chronotypes To Cardiometabolic Health

• 2019 Government Shutdown Continues

Tragedy At The Gable House Bowl

• 2019 Government Shutdown Continues

The Decreasing US Cancer Death Rate

• 2019 Government Shutdown Continues

Astronomers Identify a New Dwarf Planet

• 2019 Government Shutdown Continues

Stranger Shoved Into Road For No Reason

• 2019 Government Shutdown Continues

Paris Fuel Tax Protests

• 2019 Government Shutdown Continues

Polio-like Virus Strikes Across The Nation

• 2019 Government Shutdown Continues

Theresa May’s Brexit Deal

• 2019 Government Shutdown Continues

Chaos Erupts at U.S/Mexico Border With Migrant Caravan

• 2019 Government Shutdown Continues

10 Year Old Saves Senior Citizens’ Lives

2019 Government Shutdown Continues