Theresa May’s Brexit Deal

Theresa May’s Brexit Deal

Courtesy of Public Domain Pictures

Courtesy of Public Domain Pictures

Courtesy of Public Domain Pictures

Courtesy of Public Domain Pictures

Ulia Zaman, Staff Writer

Theresa May’s Brexit deal has been accepted by the European Union. During a special European Council meeting in Brussels on November 5, the leaders of the 27 remaining EU countries endorsed both the Withdrawal Agreement and the Political Declaration proposed by the British prime minister. The Withdrawal Agreement lays out the terms under which the U.K. will leave the EU by March 2019. While the Political Declaration created clear guidelines under which any future trade deal negotiations would take place.

European Council leader Donald Tusk said, “Ahead of us is the difficult process of ratification as well as further negotiations, but regardless of how it will all end, one thing is certain: we will remain friends until the end of days, and one day longer.”

Although the relationship between the U.K. and the EU is unsteady at the moment, it will certainly not come to an end with the Withdrawal Agreement and Political Declaration. The next step is figuring out how their relationship will work in the future. Tusk’s statement makes it clear that the EU remains an ally and trade partner of the UK, rather than an enemy as portrayed by some British politicians.

Ryan Del Rosario (11) said, “This will definitely be a redefining change in Britain’s national reputation, however I do believe that this change shows great courage and audacity in Parliament whether it be for better or worse.”

The 2016 referendum made the wishes of the citizens of Britain quite clear, however, an increasing number of people are beginning to think that even if Britain leaves the EU, the two will remain closely tied together. This brings up the question of whether or not the split will even be worth it.

Many believe that such an important decision can only be made by the people of Britain and so many have expressed their desire for a second referendum. Nonetheless, there are still those who believe that a second referendum will not actually accomplish anything or solve any issue.

Cynthia Ge (11) said, “I honestly think that for Britain to make such a drastic move based on a referendum instead of through the discussion [of] legislators is not smart.”

Although the calls for a second referendum have been ignored thus far by May, who wants her deal to be approved, and by the Labour Party, who wants a General Election, if neither gets their way it seems that a second referendum would be the only way to avoid a no-deal Brexit.

Ulia Zaman, Staff Writer

Ulia Zaman is a Staff Writer for Smoke Signals and a junior at West High. She is lively and passionate about all the activities she is involved in. She...

• Theresa May’s Brexit Deal

Stranger Shoved Into Road For No Reason

• Theresa May’s Brexit Deal

Paris Fuel Tax Protests

• Theresa May’s Brexit Deal

Polio-like Virus Strikes Across The Nation

• Theresa May’s Brexit Deal

Chaos Erupts at U.S/Mexico Border With Migrant Caravan

• Theresa May’s Brexit Deal

10 Year Old Saves Senior Citizens’ Lives

• Theresa May’s Brexit Deal

Kyrsten Sinema: First Openly Bisexual Female On Arizona’s Senate

• News

Newlyweds Killed Due To Helicopter Crash

• Theresa May’s Brexit Deal

Jair Bolsonaro Wins Brazilian Election

• News

Pipe Bombs Mailed To Democrats

• Theresa May’s Brexit Deal

American Troops Sent to Mexican Border

Theresa May’s Brexit Deal