Newlyweds Killed Due To Helicopter Crash

Safia Ahmed, Staff Writer

Texas newlyweds, Bailee Ackerman Byler and Will Byler were killed on Saturday, November 3rd, in a helicopter crash moments after they declared their “I do’s” to one another. The crash had also killed the pilot, Gerald Douglas Lawrence.

The couple planned to head 100 miles east in San Antonio for their honeymoon, although it backfired. The helicopter is known to have crashed into a hill around 5 to 10 minutes after it had taken off. Luckily, there was no fire at the crash site. Conservation officer, Dennis Gazaway, had claimed that there were no roads leading to the crash site.

The members of the Byler family were able to reach the ruins the helicopter had made by a private helicopter. The family reached the site before the rescue crew who had arrived on Sunday morning, the day after the wedding, due to difficult conditions the night before.

The bridesmaid of Ackerman, Madey Pipkin, mentioned in her Facebook post, “Life will never be the same without Bailee girl. I am so thankful that God put you in my life… trying to imagine life without you is indescribable… Thank you for being one of my best friends and always being there.”

Lawrence was a pilot for Byler’s family for years and served as a pilot at the time of the Vietnam War.

His daughter, Devon de Samaniego, claims that her father had been a helicopter pilot for almost fifty years and that he keeps everything efficient when it comes to his job as a pilot.

Yusra Memon (11) was afflicted after hearing the incident. She said, “I feel really bad because they were still really young. They were just starting a new step in their lives… A lesson we can learn from this accident is that terrible things may happen in life, but we just have to accept it and keep moving forward.”

It is not yet determined what caused the crash, however, the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) reports will soon be verified and inform others what had really provoked the helicopter crash.

Safia Ahmed, Staff Writer

Safia Ahmed is a sophomore at West and a Staff Writer for Smoke Signals. She is very passionate about literature and the impact it can have on people....