Jair Bolsonaro Wins Brazilian Election

Jair Bolsonaro Wins Brazilian Election

Courtesy of UOL

Courtesy of UOL

Courtesy of UOL

Courtesy of UOL

Zack Allen, Staff Writer

After the most polarizing campaign in Brazil’s history, far-right candidate, Jair Bolsonaro, won the Brazilian presidency on October 28th.

Bolsonaro is a self proclaimed “defender of freedom” and claims to defend citizens who “follow their duties and respect laws.” However, opponents of Bolsonaro say that he may be a threat to human rights laws and to ecological preservation.

Bolsonaro has stated on multiple occasions that he wants to re-open the Amazon rainforest for businesses in the interest of making a profit. This may have potential consequences and can lead to great dangers over time. Cutting down large portions of the Amazon, according to the Amazon Watch Program, can bring devastation to the planet such as the looming threat of climate change.   

Dahlia Pacheco(12) who is concerned about the environment and what Bolsonaro may do, said, “The Amazon needs to be protected and kept safe for the environment and animals who call it home”

The dangers are not just those of plant and animal life, but human lives are endangered in Brazil, as political attacks from citizens run rampant. Bolsonaro, ready for the polarity of the situation, went to cast his ballot wearing body armor and took precautions by entering through the back door.

Last month he was stabbed when attended his rally. This stabbing was not the only case of violence, as many attacks have flooded the streets of Brazil.

Thousands are in protest against the election of Bolsonaro. The Women Bolsonaro March that took place in Sao Paulo is only one of many.

Those against Bolsonaro say that he only gives a voice to extreme prejudice and right views, silencing those who stand against him. Many claim that he is ‘sexist,’ ‘homophobic,’ and ‘misogynistic.’

With a clear hatred for homosexuals, Bolsonaro even said in 2013 that he would “rather have a son who is an addict than a son who is gay.”

This has sparked outrage in the LGBT community, for it is unknown what actions the government will take.

Jessica Shelton (10) was astonished at Bolsonaro’s views on the LGBTQ+ community. She said,“What [that is] stupid like why does he get to decide who people love?”

With all of this information, we should keep a weathered eye on the nation of Brazil.

Zack Allen, Staff Writer

Zack Allen is a Staff Writer for Smoke Signals and a junior at West High. On top of that, he is a member of Play Production and the Vice President of Film...

• Jair Bolsonaro Wins Brazilian Election

New Research Study Links Chronotypes To Cardiometabolic Health

Tragedy At The Gable House Bowl

The Decreasing US Cancer Death Rate

2019 Government Shutdown Continues

Astronomers Identify a New Dwarf Planet

Stranger Shoved Into Road For No Reason

Paris Fuel Tax Protests

Polio-like Virus Strikes Across The Nation

Theresa May’s Brexit Deal

Chaos Erupts at U.S/Mexico Border With Migrant Caravan

Jair Bolsonaro Wins Brazilian Election