Mass Shooting Leaves Eleven People Dead

Mass Shooting Leaves Eleven People Dead

Courtesy of ABC Action News

Courtesy of ABC Action News

Getty Images

Courtesy of ABC Action News

Getty Images

Getty Images

Courtesy of ABC Action News

Dominic Herrera, Staff Writer

On October 27th, a man armed with an assault rifle and pistols murdered eleven people and wounded four others. However, it took place at a Jewish Synagogue, the heart of the Pittsburgh Jewish community.

The attack took place in the morning hours as many of the attendees gathered in separate rooms to spend some time in prayer and thought. However, a man named Robert D. Bowers stormed into the building and began opening fire while yelling anti-Semitic insults. He attempted to flee the building, but was cornered by police officers. Robert attempted to barricade himself in the upper levels of the Synagogue, but eventually surrendered. Dealing with 29 criminal counts and a handful of state charges, Bowers is now face-to-face with a potential death penalty, which prosecutors are pushing hard for.

A member of the Jewish community, Emily Fink (9), said “[The victims are] part of my community so I have to and want to be respectful of the people of my religion.”

Prior to the attack, Bowers had been using a social media platform known as Gab to encourage people with anti-Semitic agendas to take action similar to his. Minutes before he began the shooting, he made a final post saying, “I [cannot] sit by and watch my people get slaughtered.”

Many politicians, such as the governor of Pennsylvania, Tom Wolf, and the Attorney General, Jeff Sessions, have spoken out against the shooting and condemned the actions of Bowers.

On Tuesday, President Donald Trump visited Pittsburgh, but received backlash from the public and fellow politicians. Members of his party have refused to accompany him on his trip to Pittsburgh and the mayor has asked him to not visit the city. On top of that, protests have sprang up across the city, protesting his arrival.

The reason behind all of this backlash is due to comments he made following the shooting. On Twitter, Trump made a post about the shooting, addressing the anti-Semitism and condemning it. He returned to Twitter to make a post about the World Series game hours after the shooting, making him appear to be ignorant of the shooting.

Dylan Wakayama (9), a firm supporter of the president, has said “Would it be any different if Obama visited [the Synagogue]? I think [it is] a great sign of respect.”

Even though the shooting has passed, hearts are still healing and developments in the story continue to flow.

Dominic Herrera, Staff Writer

Dominic Herrera is a freshman at West High and a Staff Writer for Smoke Signals. He's an active member of the West High Advanced Band. He enjoys reading...

• Mass Shooting Leaves Eleven People Dead

Terror In Utrecht, Netherlands

Beto O’Rourke Enters Presidential Run

Power Outage Devastates Venezuela

New Zealand Twin Terror Attacks: 51 Souls Lost

This Cosmic Coincidence Won’t Recur Until 2030

An Executive Order For Free Speech

A Milestone In The AIDS Epidemic

More Women Are Having Heart Attacks. New Studies Reveal Why.

Jussie Smollett’s Hoax Plan Backfires

Patriots Owner Charged With Solicitation

Mass Shooting Leaves Eleven People Dead