Seemingly Harmless Disease Proves To Be Fatal

Courtesy of ABC News

Courtesy of ABC News

Courtesy of ABC News

Aleeza Adnan, Staff Writer

The adenovirus outbreak has frightened the people of New Jersey as it has taken the lives of nine children and sickened twenty-six. The kids were at the medical facility, Wanaque Center for Nursing and Rehabilitation, which provides rehab services along with being a pediatric center.

Adenovirus causes mild respiratory problems and is considered harmless unless the diagnosed person has a weak immune system. In that case, it can be considered quite fatal.

Unfortunately, the children infected with the disease had a fragile medical condition to begin with, and were admitted to the medical facility as long-term patients. They relied on ventilators to breathe and their respiratory system grew dramatically weaker when they contracted the infection.

The viral disease has flu-like symptoms, such as pink-eye. It is a very contagious disease that can be caught by touching door handles or table surfaces.

The Department of Health is on the site of the facility in an examination of the disease.

Dr. Sanjay Gupta stated, “We are trying to find out still is what period of time did this occur was this over days and weeks or was this moreover hours and days.”

Medical experts are working to answer multiple questions about the children regarding where they were, who they were with, and how they contracted the disease.

Michael Toth (11) looked into the issue and voiced his concern, saying, “I think medical professionals should immediately find the cause for this as the lives of children are at risk.”

Children at the facility are being tested for adenovirus by doctors with parent or guardian permission granted. They take swabs from the child’s respiratory secretions like the throat or nose. However, there are a lot of kids at the facility who have not been tested yet, which is potentially dangerous considering how fast the virus has been spreading.

Muniza Ahmed (11) has studied viruses and contagious diseases. After seeing the rapid spread of this epidemic, she expressed, “It is rare to see a disease take the lives of so many children in such a short period of time. I hope they prevent it from taking lives of more.”

Doctors and the public have sent their thoughts to the families that are mourning over the loss of their children. There is hope that the disease will be treated and will not destroy any more lives.

Aleeza Adnan, Staff Writer

Aleeza Adnan is a junior at West High and a Staff Writer for Smoke Signals. She is also on the West High Speech and Debate team and is very passionate...

• News

Newlyweds Killed Due To Helicopter Crash

• Seemingly Harmless Disease Proves To Be Fatal

Jair Bolsonaro Wins Brazilian Election

• News

Pipe Bombs Mailed To Democrats

American Troops Sent to Mexican Border

Mass Shooting Leaves Eleven People Dead

Camera Found In Couple’s Carnival Cruise Room

Hurricane Willa Strikes Mexico

NASA’s New Tech to Survey Planets

Khashoggi Mystery Continues

Taylor Swift Voices Her Political Beliefs