Hurricane Willa Strikes Mexico

Mariam Rizkalla, Staff Writer

More than 4,000 Mexican families evacuated their coastal towns Tuesday evening October 23 due to hurricane Wilma´s strike on the Pacific Coast. The hurricane was said to have struck Mexico at 120 mph, spreading 40-125 miles from its center. Forecasters predict it to cause 6-18 inches of flooding rain.

The National Hurricane Center took to social media later that evening to reveal deeper coverage on the issue.     

They stated, “Hurricane #Willa made landfall at 7 PM MDT near Isla Del Bosque, Sinaloa, or about 10 miles (15 km) south of Escuinapa.  Maximum winds at landfall were estimated to be 120 mph (195 km/h), with a minimum central pressure of 965 mb (28.50 inches).”

Using accumulated cyclone energy (a measurement used to measure seasonal storm activity in a given region), experts have come to the conclusion that this season is the most active hurricane season on record.

In a tweet, Mexican President Enrique Peña Nieto said that he has asked the National System of Civil Protection to take all steps necessary to protect and support the hurricane victims.

Marina Guirguis (11) expressed her grief for the affected families.

She said, “I think that any hurricane is devastating to hear about. More families continue to lose their properties everyday due to such devastating natural disasters. You think about all these people in the world that are suffering from hurricanes and you begin to realize how small your issues are. No words can describe what these families are going through.”

Kayla Luis (10), a weathercast follower,  said, “It’s really sad to hear about all those hurricanes, one after the other, hitting populated areas. I sympathize with those who lost their homes or lost precious belongings. It’s very difficult to imagine how these families might be feeling now, but hopefully, everyone can try to support those who experiences this tragedy.”

Some people attribute those destructive events to global warming.

Kira Resnick-Crook (10) expressed her opinion on the event.

She said, “I didn’t hear about this hurricane until now. And I think that’s kind of the sad truth. While I’ve been living my life, other people’s lives have been wrecked just like their homes have been. It’s devastating to know the truth of the wreckage left behind. I’ve heard of hurricane Michael but didn’t expect to be another one that quickly! People blame it on global warming but it’s so separate from me that it’s extremely difficult to visualize.”

If you would like to assist the hurricane victims, donate to Direct Relief.

• News

Newlyweds Killed Due To Helicopter Crash

• Hurricane Willa Strikes Mexico

Jair Bolsonaro Wins Brazilian Election

• News

Pipe Bombs Mailed To Democrats

• Hurricane Willa Strikes Mexico

American Troops Sent to Mexican Border

• Hurricane Willa Strikes Mexico

Mass Shooting Leaves Eleven People Dead

• Hurricane Willa Strikes Mexico

Seemingly Harmless Disease Proves To Be Fatal

• Hurricane Willa Strikes Mexico

Camera Found In Couple’s Carnival Cruise Room

• Hurricane Willa Strikes Mexico

NASA’s New Tech to Survey Planets

• Hurricane Willa Strikes Mexico

Khashoggi Mystery Continues

• Hurricane Willa Strikes Mexico

Taylor Swift Voices Her Political Beliefs

Hurricane Willa Strikes Mexico