#WhyIDidntReport

Courtesy of Samaa TV

Courtesy of Samaa TV

Courtesy of Samaa TV

Safia Ahmed, Staff Writer

Many women have been sexually assaulted or harassed in the past, but have kept it private for years because they believe that it is better keeping it in rather than getting judged by it. After the #MeToo movement, social media has brought stories of abuse, harassment, and assault viral that both women and men have experienced in their lives. A recent hashtag has been spreading all through social media: #WhyIDidn’tReport. The hashtag began when Donald Trump tweeted about the accusations involving Dr. Christine Blasey Ford opposing Supreme Court candidate Brett Kavanaugh.

Ford declared that Kavanaugh sexually assaulted her at a high school party three decades ago. She recalled him pushing her down on a bed and groping her. As he tried taking her clothes off, she attempted to scream, but Kavanaugh put his hand over her mouth making it hard to call for help. Kavanaugh’s friend, Mark Judge, was in the room with them. Both men were drunk, but Ford was able to escape.

Alan Guerra (10) believes that the recent women movements are empowering. He said, “I think that movements, such as the #MeToo and the #WhyIDidntReport, are so important, especially in these times. Not only are [people] fighting alongside [others] that have gone through similar things, but [they] get the sense that [they are] not alone.”

After hearing about the claims Ford had accused Kavanaugh of, many women and men took a stand and started tweeting with #WhyIDidntReport.

Lili Reinhart, an American actress, tweeted,“Because I [did not] want to lose my job or make people think I was a drama queen. #WhyIDidntReport.”

Social media has become a place where people can share their stories of such violence and encourage others to do so as well. The #MeToo movement had been very motivational towards many survivors of abuse or assault; it allowed them to be aware of the assaults other people had gone through.

David Leavitt, an American writer, tweeted, “I was four, and he said [he would’ kill me. #WhyIDidntReport.”

If you have been through sexual transgression and feel like being a voice to other women in the world who have experienced this, please contact, RAINN’s National Sexual Assault Telephone Hotline at 800-656-4673.

• #WhyIDidntReport

Taylor Swift Voices Her Political Beliefs

• #WhyIDidntReport

Saudi Journalist Disappears

• #WhyIDidntReport

The New NAFTA

• #WhyIDidntReport

USS Wasp Denied Permission To Dock

• #WhyIDidntReport

Missing Teenager Found at Sea

• #WhyIDidntReport

The Text Heard ‘Round the Country’

• #WhyIDidntReport

Wyoming Hunting Guide Assaulted And Killed By Grizzly Bears

• #WhyIDidntReport

The Newest Chapter of #MeToo

• #WhyIDidntReport

Kellen Winslow Jr. Arrested

• #WhyIDidntReport

Harry And Meghan’s Royal Wedding

#WhyIDidntReport