New York Attorney General Convicted of Harassment

Courtesy of The Root

Courtesy of The Root

Anoushka Gupta, Staff Writer

On May 7, Eric Schneiderman, New York’s attorney general, resigned from his position three hours after The New Yorker published an article detailing his harassment and abuse of women.

The report primarily featured accusations from four women, including Michelle Manning Barish and Tanya Selvaratnam. Both Barish and Selvaratnam were romantically involved with Schneiderman and reported about being physically abused by him through violent slaps, angry outbursts, and choking. He also exhibited violent, alcoholic tendencies and abused prescription drugs.

Despite the fact that Schneiderman resigned from his position, he still has not accepted the accusations. He responded to the claims by stating, “In the privacy of intimate relationships, I have engaged in role-playing and other consensual sexual activity. I have not assaulted anyone. I have never engaged in non-consensual sex, which is a line I would not cross.”

Ulia Zaman (10) believes that Schneiderman did abuse the women. She stated that “Schneiderman is just another example of a corrupt politician who abuses his power and influence.”

The news of Schneiderman’s harassment scandal has shocked many as he had championed himself as a supporter of women’s rights, passing many laws to benefit women, including a law imposing a stricter punishment of the strangulation of women. He also supported the #MeToo movement, even leading a lawsuit against the Harvey Weinstein scandal almost a year ago.

One of the victims, Selvaratnam, stated that this was one of the reasons she chose to stand up against Schneiderman. She said, “This is a man who has staked his entire career, his personal narrative, on being a champion for women publicly. But he abuses them privately. He needs to be called out.”

Angeline Simon (10) agrees with Selvaratnam sentiments stating, “This shows how far people in power will go and how much they will like to create a false image of themselves for the public.”

Schneiderman is just one in many cases of powerful men abusing their power. It really goes to show how much our society has evolved and that even powerful men, like Schneiderman, are being called out by the #MeToo movement.

• New York Attorney General Convicted of Harassment

Taylor Swift Voices Her Political Beliefs

Saudi Journalist Disappears

The New NAFTA

USS Wasp Denied Permission To Dock

#WhyIDidntReport

Missing Teenager Found at Sea

The Text Heard ‘Round the Country’

Wyoming Hunting Guide Assaulted And Killed By Grizzly Bears

The Newest Chapter of #MeToo

Kellen Winslow Jr. Arrested