North Koreans Detainees Released

Courtesy of The Hill

Courtesy of The Hill

Courtesy of The Hill

Andrea Gomez, Feature/Opinion Editor

On Wednesday, May 9, three North Korean detainees were finally released in good health from North Korea and brought home. Kim Dong Chul, Kim Hak Song and Kim Sang Duk, also known as Tony Kim, came home Thursday morning and were welcomed by the president, Donald Trump.

According to Miami Herald, Secretary of State, Mike Pompeo, was in North Korea to  complete plans for a meeting between Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, regarding the denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula. Current vice president, Mike Pence, stated that Trump’s tough minded diplomacy is what led to the freedom of the three detainees. The three men left custody at 7:45 A.M and boarded on Pompeo’s plane at 8:42 A.M. to be transferred to Japan.

According to TIME, the three men were detained for alleged anti-state activities. Hak Song and Tony Kim taught at a university in Pyongyan. Hak Song was originally about to leave the country on May 6, 2017, however the university stated, “[Hak Song] was apprehended after concluding a trip to carry out agricultural development work at the school’s experiment farm.”

Tony Kim was abducted on April 22, 2017 after trying to leave the country. Korean state media have not released as to why he was detained.

Dong Chul had run a company on North Korea’s border with Russia. He was sentenced in April 2016 for 10 years after spying on South Korea and bribing North Korean citizens about information on the nuclear weapons program, Times reported.   

Pompeo stated, “Though we’re not quite back home yet, I welcomed them back. They were happy to be with us on this plane to be sure.” After they then flew to Joint Base Andrews outside Washington.

Megan San Pedro (12) commented on the situation, “I’m glad they’re out of [North Korean Prison], they wasted a whole year though, and they couldn’t see their family members.”

According to CNN, “An official with knowledge of the negotiations previously told CNN that the North Koreans decided to free the Americans two months ago, and that North Korea’s foreign minister, Ri Yong Ho, had proposed their release during his visit to Sweden in March.”

Yosalin Trujillo (11) said, “I wouldn’t give the president all the credit, Kim Jong Un has been more and more weird lately. I am happy that the three detainees have been released but it was because of the contribution of every representative.”

The three men have since been in the United States happy and free.

Andrea Gomez, Staff Writer

Andrea Gomez is a senior and this year is her second year in Journalism.  She is now the Feature/ Opinion Editor.  She enjoys writing and drawing.

• News

Newlyweds Killed Due To Helicopter Crash

• North Koreans Detainees Released

Jair Bolsonaro Wins Brazilian Election

• News

Pipe Bombs Mailed To Democrats

• North Koreans Detainees Released

American Troops Sent to Mexican Border

• North Koreans Detainees Released

Mass Shooting Leaves Eleven People Dead

• North Koreans Detainees Released

Seemingly Harmless Disease Proves To Be Fatal

• North Koreans Detainees Released

Camera Found In Couple’s Carnival Cruise Room

• North Koreans Detainees Released

Hurricane Willa Strikes Mexico

• North Koreans Detainees Released

NASA’s New Tech to Survey Planets

• North Koreans Detainees Released

Khashoggi Mystery Continues

North Koreans Detainees Released