North Koreans Detainees Released

Courtesy of The Hill

Courtesy of The Hill

Courtesy of The Hill

Andrea Gomez, Feature/Opinion Editor

On Wednesday, May 9, three North Korean detainees were finally released in good health from North Korea and brought home. Kim Dong Chul, Kim Hak Song and Kim Sang Duk, also known as Tony Kim, came home Thursday morning and were welcomed by the president, Donald Trump.

According to Miami Herald, Secretary of State, Mike Pompeo, was in North Korea to  complete plans for a meeting between Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, regarding the denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula. Current vice president, Mike Pence, stated that Trump’s tough minded diplomacy is what led to the freedom of the three detainees. The three men left custody at 7:45 A.M and boarded on Pompeo’s plane at 8:42 A.M. to be transferred to Japan.

According to TIME, the three men were detained for alleged anti-state activities. Hak Song and Tony Kim taught at a university in Pyongyan. Hak Song was originally about to leave the country on May 6, 2017, however the university stated, “[Hak Song] was apprehended after concluding a trip to carry out agricultural development work at the school’s experiment farm.”

Tony Kim was abducted on April 22, 2017 after trying to leave the country. Korean state media have not released as to why he was detained.

Dong Chul had run a company on North Korea’s border with Russia. He was sentenced in April 2016 for 10 years after spying on South Korea and bribing North Korean citizens about information on the nuclear weapons program, Times reported.   

Pompeo stated, “Though we’re not quite back home yet, I welcomed them back. They were happy to be with us on this plane to be sure.” After they then flew to Joint Base Andrews outside Washington.

Megan San Pedro (12) commented on the situation, “I’m glad they’re out of [North Korean Prison], they wasted a whole year though, and they couldn’t see their family members.”

According to CNN, “An official with knowledge of the negotiations previously told CNN that the North Koreans decided to free the Americans two months ago, and that North Korea’s foreign minister, Ri Yong Ho, had proposed their release during his visit to Sweden in March.”

Yosalin Trujillo (11) said, “I wouldn’t give the president all the credit, Kim Jong Un has been more and more weird lately. I am happy that the three detainees have been released but it was because of the contribution of every representative.”

The three men have since been in the United States happy and free.

• North Koreans Detainees Released

Harry And Meghan’s Royal Wedding

• North Koreans Detainees Released

Golden State Killer Fights Release of Court Documents

• North Koreans Detainees Released

Re-examined Evidence Points To Water On Europa

• North Koreans Detainees Released

New York Attorney General Convicted of Harassment

• North Koreans Detainees Released

E. Coli Flare-Up In Romaine Lettuce

• North Koreans Detainees Released

North and South Korea Agree to Remove Nuclear Arms

• North Koreans Detainees Released

Truckers Help with Man Threatening Suicide

• North Koreans Detainees Released

Toronto Van Rampage Leaves 10 People Dead

• North Koreans Detainees Released

The Royal Baby’s Public Debut

• North Koreans Detainees Released

Trump Approves Missile Strikes in Syria

North Koreans Detainees Released