North and South Korea Agree to Remove Nuclear Arms

Financial+Express+
Financial Express

Financial Express

Financial Express

Sanskriti Adigal, Staff Writer

On Friday, April 27th, the leaders of North and South Korea discussed the removal of nuclear weapons from the Korean Peninsula. Within the following year, they plan to approach the United States in declaring an official end to the Korean War, which had devastated the peninsula from 1950 to 1953.

At the historic meeting, both South Korean President Moon Jae-In and North Korean leader Kim Jong-un vowed to eventually negotiate a peace treaty that would resolve the uneasy peace that has divided the Korean peninsula for over six decades. The treaty acknowledges one of the incentives North Korea demanded in response to dismantling its nuclear program.

The summit conference, held at the border village of Panmunjom, marked the first time a North Korean leader has ever set foot in the South. The agreements for reconciliation and disarmament came during the day, beginning with a smile, handshake, and a thirty-minute talk shared by the two leaders. As Mr. Kim stated, “I came here to put an end to the history of confrontation.”

Yoon Young-chan, the spokesperson for Moon, also claimed Kim acknowledged honest differences between the two nations, such as the poor road conditions, a startling remark for a family considered faultless.

By agreeing to pursue a peace deal, Moon held out an opportunity for North Korea to progress towards its most important goals after the Trump Administration strengthened sanctions on the reclusive state, due to its failure to dismantle its nuclear arsenal.

In addition, the measure may withdraw troops from the Demilitarized Zone and create a joint fishing zone around the disputed western sea border. The progress made toward denuclearization also would pave the way for an economic incentive in which the South may reaffirm its promise to invest funds in helping the North with its poor roads and infrastructure.

In response, Sally Park (10) stated, “North Korea has a history of threatening to go to war just to get supplies from South Korea because they use most their resources for nuclear technology. Also, the entirety of the peninsula being nuclear free would mean that the weapons and defense the USA has on the Korean Seas would have to go. It would be less protection for South Korea and I’m worried that North Korea will try to take advantage of that.”

Additionally Harrison Kwon (10) added, “I think it’s relieving that South Korea isn’t in the amount of danger it once was. In addition, having the South and North becoming a united Korea will be an amazing event in my life since they had their Korean War back in 1950.”

• North and South Korea Agree to Remove Nuclear Arms

Harry And Meghan’s Royal Wedding

Golden State Killer Fights Release of Court Documents

Re-examined Evidence Points To Water On Europa

New York Attorney General Convicted of Harassment

North Koreans Detainees Released

E. Coli Flare-Up In Romaine Lettuce

Truckers Help with Man Threatening Suicide

Toronto Van Rampage Leaves 10 People Dead

The Royal Baby’s Public Debut

Trump Approves Missile Strikes in Syria