Truckers Help with Man Threatening Suicide

CNN

CNN

CNN

CNN

CNN

Andrea Gomez, Feature/Opinion Editor

On April 24th, at approximately 1 A.M., police received calls regarding a suicidal man in Michigan on the Interstate 696 who was threatening to jump off the freeway. The police have declined releasing the man’s identity, but his life was saved with the help of local truckers.

Michigan police rushed to close off the freeway and asked local truckers to come in. The thirteen volunteer semi-truck drivers in who came to help were placed under the bridge forming a wall, so if the man did jump, the trucks would break his fall.

According to CNN, Lieutenant Mike Shaw of the Michigan State Police explained how using truckers to help is common stating, “most of the time these events are [resolved] pretty fast, so we only get one semi.” If the man were to jump off with the trucks under him, Shaw stated that it would have been only five or six feet onto the roof of a truck, rather than 14 feet to the concrete below.

It took about three hours until the police were able to calm him down. Shaw commented, “We were able to convince him that this was not the right thing to do, and we were able to get him to a local hospital where he is getting the help that he needs.” According to Today, Chris Harrison, one of the truckers revealed state police shook every truckers hand after the man was brought down safely on the Facebook page “Twisted Truckers”.

However, the truckers actions shouldn’t be the only piece of the picture being talked about. Shaw says, “In that picture somewhere is somebody that was contemplating ending their own life. We want that to be the story — not what Michigan State Police did or what the truckers did, but that the person changed their own mind.”

Edward Phillips (9) comments, “It’s a positive thing that the police spoke out about what they thought, it would help those who are trying to decide whether or not they should live.”

Michigan State Police explained that anyone going through a tough time and thinking of suicide should seek help from the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255.

Andrea Gomez, Staff Writer

Andrea Gomez is a senior and this year is her second year in Journalism.  She is now the Feature/ Opinion Editor.  She enjoys writing and drawing.

• Truckers Help with Man Threatening Suicide

Stranger Shoved Into Road For No Reason

Paris Fuel Tax Protests

Polio-like Virus Strikes Across The Nation

Theresa May’s Brexit Deal

Chaos Erupts at U.S/Mexico Border With Migrant Caravan

10 Year Old Saves Senior Citizens’ Lives

Kyrsten Sinema: First Openly Bisexual Female On Arizona’s Senate

• News

Newlyweds Killed Due To Helicopter Crash

Jair Bolsonaro Wins Brazilian Election

• News

Pipe Bombs Mailed To Democrats