Trump Approves Missile Strikes in Syria

Hassan Ammar | AP

Hassan Ammar | AP

Abril Antonini, Staff Writer

On Friday, April 13th, the United States alongside the United Kingdom and France launched a missile strike against Syria to target three  arsenal sites for Syrian president, Bashar al-Assad alleged chemical weapons.

The purpose of this strike was to damage the production of the internationally banned chemical weapons that al-Assad has been using against the Syrian population. Marine Corps Lt. Gen. Kenneth F. McKenzie Jr who is the director of the Joint Staff, explained on a press conference held saturday April 14 at the pentagon said, “We deployed 105 weapons against three targets that will impact the Syrian regime’s ability to develop, deploy and use chemical weapons in the future.”

The strike was deployed from naval bases located in the Red Sea, Persian Gulf and the Eastern Mediterranean. The first site where the strikes were carried out included the Barzah Research and Development Center located outside of the city of Damascus. The second and third sites were part of the Him Shinshar Chemical Weapons Complex located outside the city of Homs.

Iliya Hajireza (10) commented on the matter, “I don’t think they should have done that. There isn’t really any concrete evidence that Assad was using chemical warfare in the Syrian civil war so the missile strike was unnecessary conflict.”

This is the second time that the Trump administration has launched missiles in Syria with the first one being April 7th 2017 for the same purpose against one of Assad’s air bases. At an emergency Security Council meeting called by Russia, U.N. Ambassador Nikki Haley said, “I spoke to the president this morning, and he said, ‘If the Syrian regime uses this poisonous gas again, the United States is locked and loaded.’”

Shaunna Walker (10), who wants to go into the Marine Corps said, “I think it was a good decision to get the Syrian government to stop the chemical warfare use and prevent any more deaths. The strike  was the best choice.”

As of now the mission has reportedly claimed to be successful at damaging the Syrian government’s weapon development and no civilians have been reported to be injured or deceased.

Abril Antonini, Staff Writer

Abril Antonini is a Sophomore at West. She enjoys creative writing and is a part of the West High drill team. She has been dancing for 5 years, loves animals,...

• Trump Approves Missile Strikes in Syria

Stranger Shoved Into Road For No Reason

Paris Fuel Tax Protests

Polio-like Virus Strikes Across The Nation

Theresa May’s Brexit Deal

Chaos Erupts at U.S/Mexico Border With Migrant Caravan

10 Year Old Saves Senior Citizens’ Lives

Kyrsten Sinema: First Openly Bisexual Female On Arizona’s Senate

• News

Newlyweds Killed Due To Helicopter Crash

Jair Bolsonaro Wins Brazilian Election

• News

Pipe Bombs Mailed To Democrats

Trump Approves Missile Strikes in Syria