West High 2018 Olympic Games

Anna+Kim
Anna Kim

Anna Kim

Anna Kim

Anna Kim, Staff Writer

On Monday, March 12th, the Olympic Games at West High began. In these games, athletes from the freshmen, sophomore, junior, and senior classes went head-to-head in a variety of activities. In addition to the Olympics, it was also Spirit Week, where students got the opportunity to dress up for each theme.

The Olympics opening ceremony took place at the track on Monday. Participants from each class walked on the track wearing signs with their names and the activities they were going to participate in. Students also wore their class colors to school to show spirit.

Lani Lum, Haley Jones, Alec Froning, and Caleb Terrill helped the senior class take first place in track, giving the class fifteen points in their cumulative score. The juniors got second place, receiving ten points; the sophomores got third place, receiving five points; and the freshmen got fourth place, receiving one point.

On Tuesday, students went to the gym for badminton. Senior athlete, Louise Cuaresma (12), said, “I have never participated in the Olympics before at West, so I thought that as a senior, I [was not] going to get another chance to represent my class. I loved that even though I am not very good at badminton, my class still supported me and cheered for me.” After this round, both the Juniors and Sophomores were tied for first with twenty points.

On Wednesday, students came to school dressed up for Nerd Day. The activity for that day of the Olympics was Kahoot in the Pavillion. More than seven-hundred students participated in the game with Noah Sullivan (12) as the host. Taylor Olson (12) helped boost the seniors to a big win.

On Thursday, a game of ultimate frisbee was held on the football field. Class Council member, Il Joon Kim (11), said, “[It was] fun to see people from different classes playing in the Olympics. I think it is nice to know that students want to represent their classes and that they want to give a lot of effort while playing in the games.” The senior class took first in this round, juniors took second, sophomores took third, and freshmen placed last.

Basketball was the last game of the Olympics for week one. Junior athlete, Rina Hong (11), said, “I played in the Olympics for the past two years and one of my closest friends was doing it this year, so I did not see a reason why I should not have participated. It was also fun this year because I got to play against my teammates from varsity.” At the end of week one, the seniors had sixty-one points, juniors had fifty points, sophomores had thirty-one points, and freshmen had thirteen points.

If you did not get a chance to go to the Olympics, the games will continue to take place next week until Friday, March 23rd. The activities for next week will include volleyball, video games, soccer, dodgeball and duck duck goose, ending with Spring Fling on Friday.

• West High 2018 Olympic Games

This Is What Dreams Are Made Of

• West High 2018 Olympic Games

West High Theatre Department Presents Godspell

• West High 2018 Olympic Games

West High’s First Lip Dub

• West High 2018 Olympic Games

Starbucks Arrests Attracts Protests and Change

• West High 2018 Olympic Games

Teachers Rebel For School Funds

• West High 2018 Olympic Games

West Acadec Takes 8th at State

• West High 2018 Olympic Games

Class Olympics Week Two

• West High 2018 Olympic Games

#MeToo Movement Hits Sports Industry

• West High 2018 Olympic Games

Trump Visits The Golden State

• West High 2018 Olympic Games

Kim Jong Un Meets With South Korean Officials

West High 2018 Olympic Games