Kim Jong Un Meets With South Korean Officials

NBC+News+

NBC News

NBC News

NBC News

NBC News

Christine Nguyen, Staff Writer

Kim Jong Un sparked conversation when he hosted an official meeting with South Korean envoys on Monday, March 5th in Pyongyang, North Korea. After the thaw in tension between the two countries at the Pyeongchang Winter Olympics, the supreme leader decided to have an “open hearted talk” about national relations over dinner.

It has been about seven years since the two countries have met. With North Korea reaching out, it is the latest sign that the countries are trying to mend connections after recurring North Korean weapons tests and threats. Danielle Kim (10) stated, “From seeing the opening show of the Korean Winter Olympics (where two Korean representatives from both North and South carried the fire together) North Korea could assume it was somewhat of an ‘olive branch.’”

The South Korean delegation consisted of ten officials including Chung Eui-yong, President Moon Jae-in’s Chief of National Security, and Suh Hoon, the National Intelligence Service Director. The deputation was joined by Kim Jong Un, his wife Ri Sol Ju, his sister Kim Yo Jong, and other North Korean officials. During the dinner, North Korea’s state media mentioned that Kim wanted to “write a new history of national reunification.”

After the four hour meeting, the South Korean representatives were due for a flight back to Seoul the next day in order to head over to Washington D.C. next. There, they planned to debrief U.S. officials on the talks. The United States has hoped that this is just the beginning in paving the way for discussion on the North’s nuclear weapons.  Lauryn Shin (9), who regularly keeps up with news relating to Korea, said, “I think (hope) that this event will bring more countries together, though a part of me agrees with what some people think, that North Korea could be lying and relations won’t get better.”

North Korea recently agreed to a suspension on nuclear weapons and missile tests while the talks were being held.

Hayoung Ihm (9) remarked, “I mean, there’s been previous cases when North Korea did not keep the deal. However that was before Kim Jong Un. Hopefully the new dictator would be able to live up to his words.”

North Korea, South Korea, and the U.S. are all working towards easing tension between the countries. Multiple diplomatic meetings are currently being held.

Christine Nguyen, Staff Writer

Christine Nguyen is a sophomore staff writer for Smoke Signals. She enjoys listening to music, reading, and dancing. She plays tennis as well as the piano...

• Kim Jong Un Meets With South Korean Officials

Stranger Shoved Into Road For No Reason

Paris Fuel Tax Protests

Polio-like Virus Strikes Across The Nation

Theresa May’s Brexit Deal

Chaos Erupts at U.S/Mexico Border With Migrant Caravan

10 Year Old Saves Senior Citizens’ Lives

Kyrsten Sinema: First Openly Bisexual Female On Arizona’s Senate

• News

Newlyweds Killed Due To Helicopter Crash

Jair Bolsonaro Wins Brazilian Election

• News

Pipe Bombs Mailed To Democrats