Cruisin’ Around the World in One Day

Cruisin’ Around the World in One Day

Jamie Park, Staff Writer

On Friday February 23rd, West High hosted its annual Multicultural Day festival, filled with music, color, dance, and lights. Students practiced for days, perfecting their performance to represent their culture.

The first piece choreographed by Brittany Nwandiko (12) illustrated the African culture. The three girls dressed in clothing of various patterns and earthlike tones.

Matija Blagojevic (11) said, “The African dance was solid because it showed off their culture through their actions and clothing.”

Next, Evan Eguchi (12), Anthony Handa (12), and Arthur Keeling (12) played as a mariachi band, representing the Spanish culture club using the trombone, trumpet, and tuba.

Keeling not only played for the Spanish Cultural Club but also participated in the Japanese Cultural Club performance. He said, “It wasn’t difficult to play for two different clubs. I just wish the Spanish club would have told me sooner because they gave me the music the night before the performance, but I tried to play anyways.”

The Japanese Cultural Club played a Ghibli Film Studio Soundtrack medley created by Keeling and Rui Wada (11). The soundtrack medley included many songs such as “Merry Go Round of Life” from Howl’s Moving Castle and “Path of The Wind” from My Neighbor Totoro.

Lastly, the Korean culture was represented by two different acts: a fashion show and a performance using a Korean drum-like instrument. The fashion show consisted of students wearing Hanbok, Korea’s traditional clothes with bright colors and simple lines without any pockets. The Multicultural Day assembly ended with the drum performance that used Korea’s traditional drums called Buk.

Joshua Han (10) was one of the Buk performers. He said, “It was fun performing but tiring because I had to do the same act three times. Not only that, practicing was stressful because we had to be super coordinated for the Buk sounds to be loud and clean.”

Although West High did not have Multicultural Day last year from the lack of performers, the assembly this year presented cultures all over the world and ended with applause and cheers.

Jamie Park, Staff Writer

Jamie is a Senior at West High. She is a staff writer for Smoke Signals. She is obsessed with the color pink, enjoys listening to music, going to the...

• Cruisin’ Around the World in One Day

Stranger Shoved Into Road For No Reason

• Cruisin’ Around the World in One Day

Paris Fuel Tax Protests

• Cruisin’ Around the World in One Day

Polio-like Virus Strikes Across The Nation

• Cruisin’ Around the World in One Day

Theresa May’s Brexit Deal

• Cruisin’ Around the World in One Day

Chaos Erupts at U.S/Mexico Border With Migrant Caravan

• Cruisin’ Around the World in One Day

10 Year Old Saves Senior Citizens’ Lives

• Cruisin’ Around the World in One Day

Kyrsten Sinema: First Openly Bisexual Female On Arizona’s Senate

• News

Newlyweds Killed Due To Helicopter Crash

• Cruisin’ Around the World in One Day

Jair Bolsonaro Wins Brazilian Election

• News

Pipe Bombs Mailed To Democrats

Cruisin’ Around the World in One Day