Cruisin’ Around the World in One Day

Jamie Park, Staff Writer

On Friday February 23rd, West High hosted its annual Multicultural Day festival, filled with music, color, dance, and lights. Students practiced for days, perfecting their performance to represent their culture.

The first piece choreographed by Brittany Nwandiko (12) illustrated the African culture. The three girls dressed in clothing of various patterns and earthlike tones.

Matija Blagojevic (11) said, “The African dance was solid because it showed off their culture through their actions and clothing.”

Next, Evan Eguchi (12), Anthony Handa (12), and Arthur Keeling (12) played as a mariachi band, representing the Spanish culture club using the trombone, trumpet, and tuba.

Keeling not only played for the Spanish Cultural Club but also participated in the Japanese Cultural Club performance. He said, “It wasn’t difficult to play for two different clubs. I just wish the Spanish club would have told me sooner because they gave me the music the night before the performance, but I tried to play anyways.”

The Japanese Cultural Club played a Ghibli Film Studio Soundtrack medley created by Keeling and Rui Wada (11). The soundtrack medley included many songs such as “Merry Go Round of Life” from Howl’s Moving Castle and “Path of The Wind” from My Neighbor Totoro.

Lastly, the Korean culture was represented by two different acts: a fashion show and a performance using a Korean drum-like instrument. The fashion show consisted of students wearing Hanbok, Korea’s traditional clothes with bright colors and simple lines without any pockets. The Multicultural Day assembly ended with the drum performance that used Korea’s traditional drums called Buk.

Joshua Han (10) was one of the Buk performers. He said, “It was fun performing but tiring because I had to do the same act three times. Not only that, practicing was stressful because we had to be super coordinated for the Buk sounds to be loud and clean.”

Although West High did not have Multicultural Day last year from the lack of performers, the assembly this year presented cultures all over the world and ended with applause and cheers.

• Cruisin’ Around the World in One Day

Harry And Meghan’s Royal Wedding

• Cruisin’ Around the World in One Day

Golden State Killer Fights Release of Court Documents

• Cruisin’ Around the World in One Day

Re-examined Evidence Points To Water On Europa

• Cruisin’ Around the World in One Day

New York Attorney General Convicted of Harassment

• Cruisin’ Around the World in One Day

North Koreans Detainees Released

• Cruisin’ Around the World in One Day

E. Coli Flare-Up In Romaine Lettuce

• Cruisin’ Around the World in One Day

North and South Korea Agree to Remove Nuclear Arms

• Cruisin’ Around the World in One Day

Truckers Help with Man Threatening Suicide

• Cruisin’ Around the World in One Day

Toronto Van Rampage Leaves 10 People Dead

• Cruisin’ Around the World in One Day

The Royal Baby’s Public Debut

Cruisin’ Around the World in One Day