#NeverAgain: Shots Heard Around the Country

New+York+Post+
New York Post

New York Post

New York Post

Anoushka Gupta, Staff Writer

On Tuesday, February 20th, the Florida State House voted 36-71 against hearing a potential ban on assault rifles.

The decision is just one of many anti- gun-control measures and statements that have occurred after the school shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, on February 14th.

Student survivors of the Marjory Stoneman Douglas attack have expressed their outrage at the government’s inaction about gun control, and many went to Tallahassee by bus to lobby state lawmakers into passing gun control measures to ensure that another tragedy will not occur.

Daniel Bishop, a sophomore at Marjory Stoneman Douglas, said, “People I know died. My friends died. If our government was doing something correctly, then we wouldn’t be here today. And I truly believe that we can come here and make a difference if we all just work together to pass bipartisan legislation.”

Disappointed by the lack of interest on the issue by their state government, Bishop and many Parkland high-schoolers have decided to take matters into their own hands by organizing rallies and protests in an effort to push lawmakers into taking action. Under the hashtag #NeverAgain, over 50 schools walked out of their classrooms in support of the Douglas High students. Various other nation-wide marches have been organized, including protests on March 14th and April 20th, the anniversary of the Columbine shooting, as well as the March For Our Lives in Washington, D.C, which has gained significant support from celebrities like Oprah Winfrey, George Clooney, and Steven Spielberg who have all pledged $500,000 to the movement.

In response, President Donald Trump has pledged to push for stronger gun control laws and background checks in Congress, saying, “It’s not going to be talk like it has been in the past. It’s been going on too long. Too many instances, and we’re going to get it done.” One of the first measures Trump has pushed to get passed is a ban on bump stocks, a device used in the Las Vegas shooting that makes semi-automatic guns have increased firing capacity.  

Uzair Pasta (10) felt inspired by these movements, saying, “I think it is great that students have started speaking up because this issue affects us the most so we should have a say in the matter. And we need to prove to politicians that we are serious because right now there is something the politicians don’t realize: we are the next generation and we are the change.”

• #NeverAgain: Shots Heard Around the Country

Harry And Meghan’s Royal Wedding

Golden State Killer Fights Release of Court Documents

Re-examined Evidence Points To Water On Europa

New York Attorney General Convicted of Harassment

North Koreans Detainees Released

E. Coli Flare-Up In Romaine Lettuce

North and South Korea Agree to Remove Nuclear Arms

Truckers Help with Man Threatening Suicide

Toronto Van Rampage Leaves 10 People Dead

The Royal Baby’s Public Debut