Immigrant’s 911 Call Transferred To ICE

Courtesy of BBC News

Courtesy of BBC News

Courtesy of BBC News

Christine Nguyen, Staff Writer

On Thursday, February 8th Wilson Rodriguez Macarreno, an undocumented immigrant, called the police because of suspected intruder in his house. The police arrived and instead arrested Macarreno instead of the trespasser and gave him over to the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) about an hour later.

This alarmed the Seattle Suburb inhabitants of Tukwila while also gathering attention from national immigrant advocates. The Tukwila police officers ended up not arresting the trespasser. According to The Washington Post, the Tukwila police said, “[The authorities] had no probable cause to arrest him.”

Renusree Chittella (9), who wanted to know more about national immigrant problems and said, “If I were in Macarreno’s shoes, I would be very mad and also scared at the same time because I am being treated differently from any other citizen of the US. I would also be scared because the police are supposed to be people who comfort you and protect you from crimes, but after this incident I would not feel safe anymore.”

The police ran Macarreno’s information through the National Crime Information Center Database after asking for his ID and found a warrant from immigration officials. Jorge Barón, executive director of the Northwest Immigrant Rights project, remarked, “When people think of a warrant, [the people think] a judge has signed off on it. An independent fact finder has said whatever the police officer or law enforcement said appears to meet a threshold. That’s the thing with these ICE ‘warrants,’ they’re not approved by an immigration judge. They’re not approved by a federal judge. Nobody independently reviews them.”

The carpenter and Honduras native was then driven to the ICE field office for processing in Seattle by the police. According to a Facebook post from the Tukwila police department in an attempt to explain why they asked for identification, the department stated, “As with every incident, we establish the identity of those involved.”

In a separate post, the department added, “Officers believed that they were executing a valid order from a judge in the form of a criminal warrant.” Instead of a valid criminal warrant, the police actually carried out an administrative ICE warrant.

Recently informed about the matter, Mrs. Machado stated, “I would say that I don’t think they did the right thing because when someone is calling 911, it means that they are in a situation or need help. They should not be questioned about their immigration status. That is a separate issue.”

This event has raised the anxieties of immigrants to engage with police forces. Eklavya Mishra (9), who is interested in immigrant issues, remarked, “Possible improvements for a better national police departments would be a strict system but a stronger one to spare the feeling of heartbreak on the immigrants that manage to arrive illegally. But there should also be programs set in place to temporarily house desperate people and save them from being separated from their American children.”

After Macarreno’s detention, the Tukwila Chief of Police Bruce Linton issued a statement that verified that the police department will not collaborate or respond to ICE’s administrative warrants.

Wilson Rodriguez Macarreno is now awaiting a possible deportation in one of the largest detention centers in the nation, the Northwest Detention Center. Due to the horrors that Macarreno encountered in Honduras, his lawyer, Luis Cortes Romero said, “The only thing we’re asking for is that Wilson gets the opportunity to plea his case before a judge.”

• Immigrant’s 911 Call Transferred To ICE

Harry And Meghan’s Royal Wedding

Golden State Killer Fights Release of Court Documents

Re-examined Evidence Points To Water On Europa

New York Attorney General Convicted of Harassment

North Koreans Detainees Released

E. Coli Flare-Up In Romaine Lettuce

North and South Korea Agree to Remove Nuclear Arms

Truckers Help with Man Threatening Suicide

Toronto Van Rampage Leaves 10 People Dead

The Royal Baby’s Public Debut

Immigrant’s 911 Call Transferred To ICE