Pennsylvania Goes Blue?

Cumberlink.com+
Cumberlink.com

Cumberlink.com

Cumberlink.com

Jamie Park, Staff Writer

On February 5th, Justice Samuel Alito of the Supreme Court voted against the Pennsylvania Republicans, forcing the state legislature to redistrict Pennsylvania in order to fix the gerrymandering problem.

Early this year, the plaintiffs claimed that the district lines were gerrymandered to support the Republicans. The Pennsylvania Supreme Court agreed and called for the 18 districts to be redistricted before the 2018 midterm elections.

Democratic Governor of Pennsylvania, Tom Wolf agreed with the court ruling. He said, “Gerrymandering is wrong, and we must correct errors of the past with the existing map.”

Jakob Hinks (11) said, “I think it’s unfair that one party was favored over the other through the past redistricting process. With one party being favored, they have more say in the government, and that goes against what the United States was founded on: everybody gets an equal say. Gerrymandering throws the whole principal out the window.”

The new congressional redistricting plan made by the General Assembly must be turned in to court by February 15th. If nothing is submitted, the Supreme Court will redraw the map based on the evidentiary record.

Since 2011, the Republicans have enjoyed an eight member advantage over the Democrats in the House of Representatives. Despite the Democrats holding the entire statewide row offices and having 800,000 more registered voters, the Republicans have the majority in both the House and the Senate, but this can be changed if Pennsylvania is redistricted to be more reflective of the state’s voters.

Timothy Zhu (12) said, “Well, gerrymandering is hard to avoid, but there should be a limit on how much people gerrymander. Pennsylvania is a swing state, and there should be more of an even Democrat and Republican ratio. A 13-5 ratio is totally unfair, so it was right to be called out.”

With the redrawing of Pennsylvania’s congressional districts, the Democrats have a higher chance of winning back some of the seats in the midterm elections.

• Pennsylvania Goes Blue?

Harry And Meghan’s Royal Wedding

• Pennsylvania Goes Blue?

Golden State Killer Fights Release of Court Documents

• Pennsylvania Goes Blue?

Re-examined Evidence Points To Water On Europa

• Pennsylvania Goes Blue?

New York Attorney General Convicted of Harassment

• Pennsylvania Goes Blue?

North Koreans Detainees Released

• Pennsylvania Goes Blue?

E. Coli Flare-Up In Romaine Lettuce

• Pennsylvania Goes Blue?

North and South Korea Agree to Remove Nuclear Arms

• Pennsylvania Goes Blue?

Truckers Help with Man Threatening Suicide

• Pennsylvania Goes Blue?

Toronto Van Rampage Leaves 10 People Dead

• Pennsylvania Goes Blue?

The Royal Baby’s Public Debut

Pennsylvania Goes Blue?