Pennsylvania Goes Blue?

Cumberlink.com+
Cumberlink.com

Cumberlink.com

Cumberlink.com

Jamie Park, Staff Writer

On February 5th, Justice Samuel Alito of the Supreme Court voted against the Pennsylvania Republicans, forcing the state legislature to redistrict Pennsylvania in order to fix the gerrymandering problem.

Early this year, the plaintiffs claimed that the district lines were gerrymandered to support the Republicans. The Pennsylvania Supreme Court agreed and called for the 18 districts to be redistricted before the 2018 midterm elections.

Democratic Governor of Pennsylvania, Tom Wolf agreed with the court ruling. He said, “Gerrymandering is wrong, and we must correct errors of the past with the existing map.”

Jakob Hinks (11) said, “I think it’s unfair that one party was favored over the other through the past redistricting process. With one party being favored, they have more say in the government, and that goes against what the United States was founded on: everybody gets an equal say. Gerrymandering throws the whole principal out the window.”

The new congressional redistricting plan made by the General Assembly must be turned in to court by February 15th. If nothing is submitted, the Supreme Court will redraw the map based on the evidentiary record.

Since 2011, the Republicans have enjoyed an eight member advantage over the Democrats in the House of Representatives. Despite the Democrats holding the entire statewide row offices and having 800,000 more registered voters, the Republicans have the majority in both the House and the Senate, but this can be changed if Pennsylvania is redistricted to be more reflective of the state’s voters.

Timothy Zhu (12) said, “Well, gerrymandering is hard to avoid, but there should be a limit on how much people gerrymander. Pennsylvania is a swing state, and there should be more of an even Democrat and Republican ratio. A 13-5 ratio is totally unfair, so it was right to be called out.”

With the redrawing of Pennsylvania’s congressional districts, the Democrats have a higher chance of winning back some of the seats in the midterm elections.

• News

Newlyweds Killed Due To Helicopter Crash

• Pennsylvania Goes Blue?

Jair Bolsonaro Wins Brazilian Election

• News

Pipe Bombs Mailed To Democrats

• Pennsylvania Goes Blue?

American Troops Sent to Mexican Border

• Pennsylvania Goes Blue?

Mass Shooting Leaves Eleven People Dead

• Pennsylvania Goes Blue?

Seemingly Harmless Disease Proves To Be Fatal

• Pennsylvania Goes Blue?

Camera Found In Couple’s Carnival Cruise Room

• Pennsylvania Goes Blue?

Hurricane Willa Strikes Mexico

• Pennsylvania Goes Blue?

NASA’s New Tech to Survey Planets

• Pennsylvania Goes Blue?

Khashoggi Mystery Continues

Pennsylvania Goes Blue?