Trump Delivers First State of the Union

LA+Times+
LA Times

LA Times

LA Times

Anoushka Gupta, Staff Writer

On Tuesday January 30th, President Donald J. Trump gave his first State of the Union Address in Washington, D.C. in front of Congress. The majority of the one hour and 20 minute long speech celebrated the achievements of Trump’s administration so far, boasting the advancements he has made in tax cuts, the stock market, and immigration.

Immigration was an especially prominent point as Trump outlined some of his plans for new immigration policies. Trump shifted his focus from restrictions on illegal immigration to legal immigration, promising to get rid of chain migration and the lottery visa system. However, Trump did not mention the highly debated DACA program, of whom many recipients were present as guests of Democrat attendees.  His only mention said, “My duty, and the sacred duty of every elected official in this chamber, is to defend Americans- to protect their safety, their families, their communities, and their right to the American Dream. Because Americans are dreamers too.”

Many were upset that Trump did not mention the DACA deal. Shimoni Peiris (11) said, “I do not really agree with this line because while I see where he’s coming from, you cannot equate the privileges of someone who is an American citizen to someone who has had to suffer their entire life as an immigrant.”

Trump also discussed possible plans for the future of Congress, especially his hopes for more bipartisanship in the government. Trump even stated, “Tonight, I am extending an open hand to work with members of both parties-Democrats and Republicans-to protect our citizens of every background, color, religion, and creed.”

Democrats did not seem eager to accept bipartisanship as many boycotted the State of the Union and many of those who did attend refused to give applause for the majority of the speech. House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi was even forced to quiet down her party when members made outbursts concerning Trump’s speech.

However, some Democrats think Trump’s pleas for bipartisanship as a hopeful sign. Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer said, “For the President’s promises of bipartisanship to take hold, he’ll have to commit to real bipartisanship. We hope the president will turn over a new leaf when it comes to working with Democrats in Congress.”

Trump’s first State of the Union Address was widely received by Republicans and many of Trump’s supporters are looking forward to seeing the changes he has promised to implement.

• Trump Delivers First State of the Union

A Brand New District Aquatic Center

• News

And the Next Warrior Chef Goes To…

Popping and Locking At the Hip Hop Showcase

Pennsylvania Goes Blue?

California Bill Raises Controversy

New California: America’s Newest State?

U.S. Government Shutdown Poses Risks For Many

The Korean Silence Is Broken

Hittin’ Hunnies Steal the Show at Powderpuff

TIME Magazine’s Person of the Year Announced

Trump Delivers First State of the Union