TIME Magazine’s Person of the Year Announced

TIME / Billy & Hells

TIME / Billy & Hells

Jeff Grundy, Staff Writer

Time Magazine named The Silence Breakers, a group representing the #MeToo campaign against sexual assault, the 2017 Person of the Year. The magazine cover featured celebrities such as Taylor Swift, who recently went to court against the DJ who sexually assaulted her, Ashley Judd, who was the first to report assault by Harvey Weinstein, Alyssa Milano, and Tarana Burke.

The #MeToo campaign, named “Silence Breakers” by Time, was spread by a collection of actors and regular people who were survivors of sexual assault and wanted to shed light on the prevalence of the issue in the workplace, especially for women in the entertainment industry. The campaign took off after producer Harvey Weinstein was accused of sexual assault by multiple women, prompting a wave of celebrities and public figures to speak up about their experiences of sexual assault and harassment. This movement ultimately led to the downfall of many formerly influential people, including actor Kevin Spacey and fashion photographer Terry Richardson. It has also shed light on sexual misconduct in politics, most notably with Alabama Senate candidate  Roy Moore and Senator Al Franken, who stepped down from his position on December 7th.

The other group represented on the ten-person shortlist was named the Dreamers, the thousands of undocumented people brought to the United States as children. These people would be at risk if the Trump Administration ends the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program, an Obama-era initiative that allowed them to stay in the United States and work.

Patty Jenkins, the director of Wonder Woman, was the only female on the list. She broke records by becoming the first woman to direct a film that made more than $100 million in its opening weekend.

Characteristically, the shortlist also included four world leaders. The first was Kim Jong Un, leader of the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (DPRK). The North Korean dictator has recently renewed the threat of nuclear war against the United States, repeatedly carrying out intercontinental ballistic missile tests that have  heightened tensions between the two countries. United States president Donald Trump also made the list. Mohammed Bin Salman the son of Saudi Arabia King, and China’s president, Xi Jinping, also made the list. Recently, Prince Salman led a sweeping crackdown on businessmen and members of the royal family accused of corruption.

Robert Mueller, who was appointed special counsel to the investigation of the Trump campaign’s possible collusion with Russia, made the list because of his political influence in the later months of this year. So far, Mueller has brought charges against four individuals in the investigation of the Russian government’s potential efforts to influence the 2016 presidential elections.

Lastly, on the list were former NFL player Colin Kaepernick, known for kneeling during the national anthem to protest police brutality against unarmed African Americans, as well as Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos, who became the richest man in the world this year and has expanded his retail empire with the recent acquisition of Whole Foods.

Ryan Schneider (12) praised the Silence Breakers, saying, ¨Even though there was an initial person this was a movement that many people played an important part in it.¨

• TIME Magazine’s Person of the Year Announced

New California: America’s Newest State?

U.S. Government Shutdown Poses Risks For Many

The Korean Silence Is Broken

Hittin’ Hunnies Steal the Show at Powderpuff

Supreme Court Reinstates Travel Ban

FCC Proposes Repeal of Net Neutrality

No Moore Sexual Allegations, Please

The United States Takes A Step Backward

Transgender Military Ban Blocked

A Night In Moulin Rouge Paris