FCC Proposes Repeal of Net Neutrality

Gizmodo.com
Gizmodo.com

Gizmodo.com

Gizmodo.com

Anoushka Gupta, Staff Writer

The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) recently stated its plans to end net neutrality and is holding a vote for its repeal on December 14th.  

Net neutrality is the law that allows for free and rapid access to the Internet. Without it, major companies like Verizon, ComCast, and AT&T would be able to charge extra for streaming and could lower speeds of certain websites or content.

Net neutrality was implemented in 2015 under the Obama administration, but recently, both Donald Trump and the FCC head Ajit Pai have been pushing to repeal it on the premise that net-neutrality has led to decreased investment in Internet companies. Pai has even stated that net neutrality should be banned, saying, “It disincentivizes companies from wanting to build out Internet access to a lot of parts of the country, in low-income, urban and rural areas, for example.”

Clara Chao (10) agrees with Pai and Trump’s beliefs, stating, “I feel like net neutrality should be banned because here in America we live on a principle that nothing should be free. You have to work to earn everything you can use, so I feel like it goes along American ideals for people who have worked harder and earned more money to get faster Internet.”

On the other hand, many internet-users feel that without net neutrality, the Internet would no longer have the same principles of freedom and equality that make it accessible.

Alex Dashuta (11) said, “I don’t like censorship or paying money to use the Internet because the Internet should be for everyone to use freely.”

Many net neutrality supporters have begun taking active measures to ensure net neutrality’s continuance.  These supporters together have organized protests, created numerous online petitions, made 200,00 phone calls to the FCC, and posted almost 500,000 comments on the FCC website. Many famous actors, such as Cher, Kumail Nanjiani, and Mark Ruffalo, as well as major internet companies like Google and Netflix have used their social media platforms to spread the message about net neutrality.

Regardless of the backlash, Pai intends to continue campaigning for the repeal of net neutrality, whose fate will be determined on December 14th.  

• FCC Proposes Repeal of Net Neutrality

#NeverAgain: Shots Heard Around the Country

• FCC Proposes Repeal of Net Neutrality

Immigrant’s 911 Call Transferred To ICE

• FCC Proposes Repeal of Net Neutrality

A Brand New District Aquatic Center

• News

And the Next Warrior Chef Goes To…

• FCC Proposes Repeal of Net Neutrality

Popping and Locking At the Hip Hop Showcase

• FCC Proposes Repeal of Net Neutrality

Pennsylvania Goes Blue?

• FCC Proposes Repeal of Net Neutrality

California Bill Raises Controversy

• FCC Proposes Repeal of Net Neutrality

Trump Delivers First State of the Union

• FCC Proposes Repeal of Net Neutrality

New California: America’s Newest State?

• FCC Proposes Repeal of Net Neutrality

U.S. Government Shutdown Poses Risks For Many

FCC Proposes Repeal of Net Neutrality