Senior Spotlight: Efrain Hernandez Alvarez

Courtesy of Ashley Driesler

Courtesy of Ashley Driesler

Courtesy of Ashley Driesler

Courtesy of Ashley Driesler

Ashley Driesler, Staff Writer

Efrain Hernandez Alvarez is a current senior at West High. He has been a very active member of swim as well as our marching band. I interviewed him about these passions and his post-secondary plans.

Q: What prompted you to join the many extracurriculars in high school?

A: What prompted me to join the various extracurriculars was due in part with some personal goals. I joined athletics to lead a better lifestyle by exercising, which has helped me in many ways and also opened new doors for future jobs such as an años Ángeles County Beach Lifeguard. I joined band to be able to play my trumpet at a decent level. Before high school, I played trumpet but then quit and joined band again. And when I rejoined, it helped me realize that I enjoy music, and being able to play it give me a great feeling. These extracurriculars that I’ve done have also turned into some of my favorite hobbies as well.

Q: What kinds of struggles did you face in swim and band?

A: Some conflict has occurred between marching band and water polo due to them being in the same season (fall). Overall, there were not that many conflicts within each activity, it was when activities overlapped where I had a little bit of difficulty.

Q: What would you say to someone who was considering joining the swim team or band?

A: Some advice I can give to someone interested in joining band or Swim/Water Polo is to simply try it. Being part of a sport or group really makes you proud of being able to represent West High and all of the things that we do. And if someone who wants to join either and thinks that these activities won’t help them later in life, they will be easily surprised. For example, I never thought I would be able, or even want to, compete in a swimming competition that occurs over the summer called the Pier to Pier swim. We swim from Hermosa beach to Manhattan beach and you race many, many people. Events and things like these are also why I encourage people to do a sport or fine art because it may not seem like much now, but it can inspire you and leave a lasting mark throughout your whole life.

Q: What is your fondest memory of West?

A: My fondest memory of West has to be joining band. In band, I was able to meet almost all of my closest friends and create memories with them. I met seniors in my freshman year that I still keep in contact with today. Band is also where I learned how to wake up early for zero periods, and this has helped me by making me more of a morning person to get things done early so I don’t have to worry about them later. Band has taught me many skills I am grateful for and I will put them to use later in life

Q: What are your plans for the future?

A: I have many plans and actions I wish to complete. I am going to be going to El Camino College where I plan to transfer to a UC or USC in order to pursue my major, which is neuroscience. After graduating and earning my bachelors for my major, I plan on attending either medical school or grad school. If I attend medical school I wish to pursue a career in the medical field and hopefully become a neurosurgeon, one day. If I end up going to grad school, I intend on getting a masters and hopefully earning a PhD for neuroscience where I can do research on the brain. Either way, my  future will be in medicine or health.

In the long run, I want to start an organization to help Latino students interested in pursuing a career in medicine so they have the opportunity to eventually become medical care professionals. As my mom told me: It doesn’t matter how long it takes, just as long as you finish what you set out to do.

Efrain’s positive and confident personality has made him a positive role model to his peers. His humor has shown that even when times are rough, you can always crack a smile and see things from a glass half-full perspective.

Ashley Driesler, Staff Writer

Ashley Driesler is a Staff Writer in Smoke Signals and currently a junior at West High. She is passionate about writing and wrestling.

• Senior Spotlight: Efrain Hernandez Alvarez

Feature

Meet your 2020 ASB!

Feature

West High Theater’s Latest Musical

Feature

Celebrating International Women’s Day with Ms. Namigata

Feature

West High Warriors: Glowing In The Dark

Speech and Debate State Qualifier Tournament

Feature

Accepting Submissions Now For Arrowheads 2019

Feature

Jordan Sasaki Bellan: A Survivor and A Fighter

Feature

West High Multicultural Day 2019

Feature

West Academic Decathlon Wins County

Feature

Valentine’s Day At West