Choir Soloists Rock The House

Choir Soloists Rock The House

Haley Guinn, Staff Writer

On Tuesday night, April 24, the West High School Choir Department hosted their annual coffeehouse showcase, featuring many talented soloists.

There was a variety of songs, such as a mellow rendition of “All Star” by Smash Mouth, performed by Ivy Hoang (12) and Annie Bui (12), along with Emily Partida’s (12) classic musical theatre performance of “Gimme Gimme” from Thoroughly Modern Millie.

Annie Bui said, “I love coffeehouse because it is honestly so refreshing seeing your classmates in choir shine. It is surprising and amazing at the same time to finally hear people’s voices and see their passion for music which we share.”

While it was a night of singing, many soloists showed off their musical talents through the use of various instruments. 

Soloist Corey Tablan (11) put on a heart-warming solo performance of “Best Friend” by Rex Orange County with his acoustic guitar, while also playing alongside Joseph Yanez (10) in his passionate performance of “Backstreet Serenade” by All Time Low.

Tablan said, “It was actually my first time singing in front of an audience by myself, so I was extremely nervous. When I started singing, I heard some of the audience cheering, so that calmed me down a bit. After getting into the song a little bit later, I started vibing and felt pretty comfortable.”

Also performing with an acoustic instrument was Lance Sordilla (10) and Balgis Muhammad (11), singing “Crazy” by Gnarls Barkley.

Piano performances were also featured during the concert. Noel Drouillet (10) sang and played piano for “Breakeven” by The Script. Annie Bui closed the night of performances by playing the piano and harmonizing with her sister Hannah Bui (10) in their soulful duet of “You Are The Reason” by Calum Scott.

Many fans of Choir, along with supporters of the fine arts came out to cheer on the performers.

Daniel Hermosisima (12), one of many people who attended the showcase said, “It is always great watching my friends perform in any way… Coffeehouse was honestly the best $5 I have ever spent just because of how professional and real it seemed, rather than some random high school event.”

Come see choir in their annual Pops concert on Friday, June 1 at 7 p.m.

Haley Guinn, Co-Editor in Chief

Haley Guinn is the Co-Editor in Chief for Smoke Signals and a senior at West High. She is also an active member in West High's Advanced Theatre Program,...

• Choir Soloists Rock The House

Feature

West High Warriors: Glowing In The Dark

• Choir Soloists Rock The House

Speech and Debate State Qualifier Tournament

• Choir Soloists Rock The House

Feature

Accepting Submissions Now For Arrowheads 2019

• Choir Soloists Rock The House

Feature

Jordan Sasaki Bellan: A Survivor and A Fighter

• Choir Soloists Rock The House

Feature

West High Multicultural Day 2019

• Choir Soloists Rock The House

Feature

West Academic Decathlon Wins County

• Choir Soloists Rock The House

Feature

Valentine’s Day At West

• Choir Soloists Rock The House

Feature

Senior Spotlight: Dahlia Pachecho

• Choir Soloists Rock The House

Feature

Dancing Their Way Through Change

• Feature

WHS Christmas Spirit Week 2018

Choir Soloists Rock The House