Coming FORTh to IOS

Courtesy+of+Polygon+

Coming FORTh to IOS

Courtesy of Polygon

Courtesy of Polygon

Courtesy of Polygon

Courtesy of Polygon

Jamie Park, Staff Writer

Fortnite: Battle Royale, a video game rapidly increasing in popularity amongst young adults, came to IOS on March 12. The game was created by Epic Games and was released in stores for PS4, Xbox, and PC on July in 2017.

The game is vastly different from the version released last year. It started off as a four player survival game where players had to make shelters and protect themselves from zombies. However, Epic Games saw the rising popularity in the game PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds (PUBG): 100 players fight each other until only one is left standing. And so, Epic Games updated their game to resemble PUBG.

Fortnite: Battle Royale begins with players jumping off of a plane onto an island where they meet other players. Before they meet the others, players can roam around the island for materials like grenades, guns, and rifles to arm themselves or collect other resources to build shelters to hide from the other players. As time passes, the land players can roam around shrinks, forcing players to encounter others one way or another. The last one standing is the winner of the game.

Austin Farley (11), who loves to play Fortnite, said, “I like playing Fortnite because it’s a lot more satisfying to win than any other shooting game; it’s harder with 100 players. Also, everytime I win my ego gets boosted, and I have the opportunity to brag my win on snapchat.”

As the game picks up more players, it began to expand its accessibility: phones. According to Forbes, the new IOS feature helped Epic Games make $1.5 million.

Ryan Thomas (9) mainly plays the game on his phone. He said, “I like the new IOS feature because it’s quick and easily accessible. The only thing is that the controls on the Xbox or PS4 are easier, but because I always carry around my phone, I can play Fortnite whenever I want.”

On the other hand, Ansh Kumar (9) does not like to play Fortnite on the IOS. He said, “I don’t like playing on the phone because the phone is so small and with a PS4, you can play on a bigger screen. Not only that, the graphics on the PS4 or PC is way better than the phone.”

Fortnite: Battle Royale sets itself apart from other shooting games through its humorous quality. The graphics of the game have a cartoon style, and players get to dress up their characters in silly costumes. Additionally, players can have their characters do funny dance moves during the game.

Unfortunately, Fortnite: Battle Royale might not be able to hold up its popularity: PUBG announced its availability on the App Store. With its rival game on the palms of every player’s hands, the future of Fortnite: Battle Royale remains unknown.

Jamie Park, Staff Writer

Jamie is a Senior at West High. She is a staff writer for Smoke Signals. She is obsessed with the color pink, enjoys listening to music, going to the...

• Coming FORTh to IOS

Feature

Setting The Stage For Winter At West

• Coming FORTh to IOS

Feature

Senior Spotlight: Niccolo Esquivelzeta Sohn

• Coming FORTh to IOS

Feature

A Night In A City Of Stars

• Coming FORTh to IOS

Feature

West High’s First Lip Dub

• Coming FORTh to IOS

Feature

Three Schools Play in Harmony

• Coming FORTh to IOS

Feature

Choir Soloists Rock The House

• Coming FORTh to IOS

Feature

Jay-Z and David Letterman: My New Fathers

• Coming FORTh to IOS

Feature

Senior Spotlight: Sarah Geltz

• Coming FORTh to IOS

Feature

Senior Spotlight: Alanna Tran

• Coming FORTh to IOS

Feature

A Rainbow After Every Storm

Coming FORTh to IOS