Vans Warped Tour: The Finale

Metal+Injection
Metal Injection

Metal Injection

Metal Injection

Rachel Kim, Editor-in-Chief

“The Kids Aren’t Alright” – The Offspring

The 2018 Vans Warped Tour, an iconic pop, punk, and emo music festival, will end after a two-decade run. For the past 24 years, Warped Tour has brought the heat for a summer-long traveling music festival. Warped Tour became the platform that gave rise to the genre of pop punk. With the help of this tour, bands like Sum 41 and Simple Plan created a movement that sparked music revolution. The end of this festival feels like an end of a movement.

In an interview with Billboard, Kevin Lyman, the tour’s founder, discussed the reason for ending the festival. It was partly because of decreased ticket sales and a limited amount of potential bands, but Lyman also said, “[T]o be honest, I’m just tired.”

Even though Lyman claims that he is ending Warped Tour because he is tired, there might be more riding on this. In 2015, Jake McElfresh of Front Porch Step was under sexual allegations. However, despite these rumors, Lyman allowed McElfresh to perform at the event until Lyman had to remove the act from the tour as he started to amass threats as well. McElfresh is not the only individual that has accusations pressed upon him.

Many others that sponsor and play for Warped have been down under. However, even with all the controversy that surrounds the festival, Lyman claims that his exhaustion is what is ending this tour (exhaustion from all these allegations possibly? I guess we will never truly know).

Nevertheless, even if the tour is ending because of multiple controversies or because of a drop in ticket sales, the end of the journey saddens many. Six year attendee of Warped Tour, Audrey Kono (12), cannot fathom the idea that she will never be able to end a festival that plays to her music taste. Kono sarcastically said, “Nope I’m not curled up in a ball crying in the corner thinking about how I’ll never be able to take my kids to my favorite music festival.” Even with her disappointment, Kono is excited to attend the final year.   

Lyman claimed that Warped’s final lineup will emphasize the true spirit of Warped Tour. Lyman said, “You’re gonna see a big mix of bands I felt really embraced the Warped Tour lifestyle. I don’t want to say a ‘mature’ lineup, but bands that I think could use one more big push of Warped Tour to help further their careers.”

The tour will begin June 21 in Pomona, CA and end in West Palm Beach, FL on August 5th. Get your tickets here (not available just yet) for your last chance to ever be a part of this punk music festival.

• Vans Warped Tour: The Finale

Feature

West High’s First Lip Dub

• Vans Warped Tour: The Finale

Feature

Three Schools Play in Harmony

• Vans Warped Tour: The Finale

Feature

Choir Soloists Rock The House

• Vans Warped Tour: The Finale

Feature

Jay-Z and David Letterman: My New Fathers

• Vans Warped Tour: The Finale

Feature

Coming FORTh to IOS

• Vans Warped Tour: The Finale

Feature

Senior Spotlight: Sarah Geltz

• Vans Warped Tour: The Finale

Feature

Senior Spotlight: Alanna Tran

• Vans Warped Tour: The Finale

Feature

A Rainbow After Every Storm

• Vans Warped Tour: The Finale

The Jonas Brothers Are The Best Boy Band of All Time

• Vans Warped Tour: The Finale

Feature

Kim And Kanye Have A Baby

Vans Warped Tour: The Finale