Music in the City of Brotherly Love

Music in the City of Brotherly Love

Courtesy of Vivid Seats

Courtesy of Vivid Seats

Courtesy of Vivid Seats

Courtesy of Vivid Seats

Christine Nguyen, Staff Writer

The eighth Made in America Festival will commence on August 31st and end on September 1st. There will be live music from a variety of genres, such as hip hop, rock, pop, R&B, and EDM.

Roc Nation, the event producer, disclosed the lineup on Tuesday, April 2nd. The announcement stated, “A primary goal of Made in America is to have a positive impact on the communities involved. Since the inaugural two-day concert in 2012, the event has generated $102.8 million in economic impact for the city.”

The festival will take place at the Benjamin Franklin Parkway in Philadelphia. Last year, the city mayor wanted to evict the event. Despite this controversy that led Jay-Z to compose an op-ed in response, the festival has returned to its usual venue.

According to The Philadelphia Inquirer, he expressed, “The Parkway captures the freedom and spirit of inclusivity that drew us to the City of Brotherly Love. The celebratory nature and essence of this festival has inspired locals as well as visitors from across the nation to enjoy Labor Day in Philadelphia.”

Featuring a diverse selection, the artist stars who are set to entertain Philadelphia and beyond are from cities across the nation to around the world. These musicians include Calboy, 99 Neighbors, Juice WRLD, James Blake, Kaskade, Anderson .Paak and The Free Nationals, Bazzi, Pink Sweat$, Jacob Banks, Kaytranada, Grace Carter, Kayzo, Roddy Ricch Madlib, Freddie Gibbs, Hippie Sabotage, SG Lewis (DJ Set), MadeinTYO, Da Baby, Amber Mark, Megan Thee Stallion, Kasai, Channel Tres, Elephante, Phantoms, and Set Mo.

Hailey Cowing (10), who listens to Blueface and Kodak Black, both rappers who will be at the festival, said, “They have good beats and I love to listen to them while warming up for a softball game. They get me more engaged with the game and it puts me and all of my teammates in a good mood.”

Cardi B and Travis Scott will be heading to the City of Brotherly Love to headline the event.

Isabella Hallqvist (11), who enjoys listening to rap, said, “I can see their performances being really energetic and entertaining. [The audience will probably be] singing and dancing along. [Their music is] something I can listen to no matter what I’m in.”

Known for its efforts to create a positive impact on the community, the Made in America festival has teamed up with philanthropic organizations. In an official charity partnership with the American Civil Liberties Union in Philadelphia, the festival will continue to support the organization. They also plan to contribute a number of their net proceeds to The Reform Alliance.   

The festival will be live-streamed on TIDAL.com/MIA. Tidal members will also gain access to a collection of exclusive perks. Tickets will be available for the general public on Friday, April 5th at Ticketmaster.com.

Christine Nguyen, Staff Writer

Christine Nguyen is a sophomore staff writer for Smoke Signals. She enjoys listening to music, reading, and dancing. She plays tennis as well as the piano...

• Music in the City of Brotherly Love

Apple Announces Long-Awaited Streaming TV Service

• Music in the City of Brotherly Love

MSA Hosts Memorial For New Zealand Victims

• Music in the City of Brotherly Love

James Gunn Rehired For Guardians Of The Galaxy 3

• Music in the City of Brotherly Love

Fourteen Actresses, Fourteen Countries

• Music in the City of Brotherly Love

Olivia Jade’s USC Admissions Scandal

• Music in the City of Brotherly Love

Captain Marvel Soars in Popularity

• Music in the City of Brotherly Love

Speech and Debate State Qualifier Tournament

• Music in the City of Brotherly Love

West High’s 2019 Talent Show

• Music in the City of Brotherly Love

R. Kelly Pleads Not Guilty to Sexual Abuse Charges

• Music in the City of Brotherly Love

Free Solo:Climbing New Heights at the Oscars

Music in the City of Brotherly Love