A Musical Milestone For Female Artists

A Musical Milestone For Female Artists

Courtesy of Invision

Courtesy of Invision

Courtesy of Invision

Courtesy of Invision

Christine Nguyen, Staff Writer

On Sunday, February 10th, the 61st Grammy Awards took place at the Staples Center in Los Angeles. It is one of the three major music awards that are held annually and it was presented by The Recording Academy, which acknowledges accomplishments within the music industry.

This year’s host for the annual event was singer and songwriter Alicia Keys, carrying a record of twenty nine nominations and fifteen awards for the Grammys. Keys also sang a variety of songs, including “Killing Me Softly” by Roberta Flack and “Lucid Dreams” by Juice WRLD.

Ashelyn Tablan (10), a music enthusiast, remarked, “My favorite part of the Grammys was Alicia Keys’ performance because she had portrayed her artistry through playing two pianos at once and combining a lot of hit songs in a way that suited her style. It was definitely a performance that I found memorable.”

Many other female artists performed onstage at the Grammys, such as Camila Cabello and Cardi B. Cardi B performed her latest single, “Money.” Chloe Flower, a Filipino composer, played a piano prelude before Cardi’s entrance. Donned in a cheetah printed catsuit that was decorated with jewels, Cardi owned the stage as she danced on top of the piano.

The rapper was also nominated in five categories which consisted of Record of the Year, Best Rap Album, Album of the Year, Best Pop Duo/Group Performance, and Best Rap Performance. Out of those nominations, she ended up winning the Best Rap Album for “Invasion of Privacy.” In addition, she was also the first woman ever to win the Best Rap Album in the history of the Grammys.

Cabello, another nominee, made her debut with nominations for Best Pop Solo Performance and Best Pop Vocal Album. Although she did not win,  Cabello’s performance received much attention for acknowledging Latin music. Her song also featured singer Ricky Martin, trumpeter Arturo Sandoval, and reggaeton singer J Balvin.

Emily Hackett (11), Aria section leader, said, “Camila Cabello’s opener, ‘Havana’ had a really great set that consisted of what looked like a life-sized open-faced dollhouse, with people inside all acting out different situations. Each of the four rooms was a different color, and it made for a very colorful and lively production when dancers were added into the mix.”

This year’s award ceremony not only recognized artists from different backgrounds, but also served as a milestone for the rise of female artists. Filled with show stopping performances and exceptional talent, the Grammys continues to bring together a community of passionate artists who love music.

• A Musical Milestone For Female Artists

Us: Jordan Peele’s 2019 Horror Movie

Roger Waters and Nick Mason Reunite

Music in the City of Brotherly Love

Apple Announces Long-Awaited Streaming TV Service

MSA Hosts Memorial For New Zealand Victims

James Gunn Rehired For Guardians Of The Galaxy 3

Fourteen Actresses, Fourteen Countries

Olivia Jade’s USC Admissions Scandal

Captain Marvel Soars in Popularity

Speech and Debate State Qualifier Tournament

A Musical Milestone For Female Artists