Coachella 2019: Under The Desert Sky

Coachella 2019: Under The Desert Sky

Courtesy of Music Festival News

Courtesy of Music Festival News

Courtesy of Music Festival News

Courtesy of Music Festival News

Christine Nguyen, Staff Writer

The 20th annual Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival kicks off on Friday, April 12th and will end on Sunday, April 21st. Held at the Empire Polo Club in Indio, California, there is expected to be approximately 250,000 attendees. Featured artists include, Solange, Janelle Monáe, Tame Impala, Khalid, the 1975 and Ariana Grande.

After Justin Timberlake and Kanye West forgoed the gig, Grande was booked to replace them last minute. Last year at Coachella, Ariana Grande performed her single “No Tears Left to Cry” as a surprise performance. The 25 year-old singer accumulated much attention due to her “Sweetener” album and ended 2018 with her pop hit, “Thank U, Next.” This year, Grande is not only the fourth woman, but also the youngest woman ever in the festival’s history to headline the two-weekend show.

Childish Gambino, this year’s second headliner, is also set to perform at Coachella. His viral song, “This Is America,” has received considerable recognition on social media for its imagery and metaphor.

Sanduni Rajapakse (10), who enjoys listening to hip hop, rap, and R&B, said, “ ‘This is America’ had a very deep meaning and it was really cool. My sister and I would jam out to 3005 when we were younger…  and still do. He’s just always been on my top list because there’s a lot of unique things in the background of his music. [I imagine that his performance will be] mesmerizing, something you would not want to look away from.”

In late October 2018, Childish Gambino cancelled his main stage set at the Voodoo Music + Arts Experience in New Orleans due to a foot injury. Fans are looking forward to Childish Gambino’s performance at Coachella since it will be his first major gig comeback.

Besides featuring American artists, Coachella also showcases DJs and bands from other countries. These artists that will be performing at the desert bash include of DJ Snake, Boy Pablo, Kayzo, HYUKOH, and Kid Cudi.

Jacob Rivas (12), who listens to a variety of music genres, said, “The audience will probably love them… They all bring great sounds and I think that’s all people care about. Boy Pablo would probably sound as unique and fun as their music… while Kayzo will be super hype with people jumping and dancing… HYUKOH would be really chill.”

From electronic music to kpop, Coachella offers a diverse selection of performances from a variation of artists around the globe. The yearly festival will help connect fans as they express their love of music.

Christine Nguyen, Staff Writer

Christine Nguyen is a sophomore staff writer for Smoke Signals. She enjoys listening to music, reading, and dancing. She plays tennis as well as the piano...

• Coachella 2019: Under The Desert Sky

2019 Critics’ Choice Awards

• Coachella 2019: Under The Desert Sky

Megyn Kelly Leaves NBC News

• Coachella 2019: Under The Desert Sky

Oh, Sandra Oh Hosted The Golden Globes

• Coachella 2019: Under The Desert Sky

Golden Globes 2019

• Coachella 2019: Under The Desert Sky

Meghan Markle Will Not Be Spending Christmas With Her Mother

• Coachella 2019: Under The Desert Sky

Jada Pinkett Smith Faces Depression in the Spotlight

• Coachella 2019: Under The Desert Sky

Neurological Studies Shed Light on OCD Symptoms

• Coachella 2019: Under The Desert Sky

Megan Fox and #MeToo

• Coachella 2019: Under The Desert Sky

The Ultimate Battle

• Coachella 2019: Under The Desert Sky

Ariana Grande Drops A New Bop

Coachella 2019: Under The Desert Sky