Jada Pinkett Smith Faces Depression in the Spotlight

Courtesy of U.S Weekly

Courtesy of U.S Weekly

Aleeza Adnan, Staff Writer

Jada Pinkett Smith, the famous singer-songwriter and American actress, addressed how she felt suicidal after entering the Hollywood spotlight. Smith unveiled the struggles in her personal life on December 17th during her Facebook Watch series, Red Table Talk.

“I had gotten to L.A. and gotten a certain amount of success and realized that that wasn’t the answer that that wasn’t what was going to make everything OK,” Smith revealed to her audience.

She continued, “Actually, it made things worse. And I became extremely suicidal and I had a complete emotional collapse.”

This was not the first time Pinkett Smith addressed her personal battles. She has spoken out about using drugs and being an alcoholic during her periods of depression. She stated that she almost took her life in June.

Krischan Jung (11) heard Smith’s talk about her period of depression and commented, “Many people don’t realize that stars in the entertainment industry, such as Smith, go through some of the worst adversities. It’s important to take into account that they have personal lives too and we should respect them accordingly.”

Smith has advocated for the importance of mental health multiple times. After the suicides of celebrities Kate Spade and Anthony Bourdain, Smith posted a picture of them on Instagram and commented on the importance of prioritizing personal well-being.

When the Saturday Night Live comedian Pete Davidson hinted thoughts of depression on an Instagram post, Smith was quick to tweet a comforting message to him.

She tweeted, “Pete Davidson… hang in there. There is a lot of help out here… I’m praying for you Pete. I’ve been there. It gets better.”

Shrutika Ezhil (9) praises Smith’s actions as she said, “I think what Jada Pinkett did for Pete is really important for all of us to do for people we personally know. We need to talk to those suffering from mental health issues and empathize with them.”

Smith voicing out her challenges shows that celebrities still face darkness even under the spotlight. Smith advises that everyone should dedicate a few moments every day caring for their mental health, regardless of whether or not they are facing any issues. Her experiences teach us how important mental health and self-love really are.

Aleeza Adnan, Staff Writer

Aleeza Adnan is a junior at West High and a Staff Writer for Smoke Signals. She is also on the West High Speech and Debate team and is very passionate...

• Jada Pinkett Smith Faces Depression in the Spotlight

2019 Critics’ Choice Awards

Megyn Kelly Leaves NBC News

Oh, Sandra Oh Hosted The Golden Globes

Golden Globes 2019

Coachella 2019: Under The Desert Sky

Meghan Markle Will Not Be Spending Christmas With Her Mother

Neurological Studies Shed Light on OCD Symptoms

Megan Fox and #MeToo

The Ultimate Battle

Ariana Grande Drops A New Bop