Megan Fox and #MeToo

Hello+Magazine+

Megan Fox and #MeToo

Hello Magazine

Hello Magazine

Hello Magazine

Hello Magazine

Ashley Kim, Staff Writer

Megan Fox is seen as a controversial figure in Hollywood for some people. Her reputation varies, but many see her as a subpar actress and nothing more than a pretty face. Fox has also received backlash from the public many times, which the actress says is the reason why she did not speak up about the #MeToo movement.

Throughout her career, Fox has experienced criticism. From leaving the Transformers cast to the subsequent comments made by director Michael Bay and the movie’s unnamed crew, her reputation was damaged and for years after, shunned.

In an interview with the New York Times, Fox revealed why, although she has spoken about her experiences with misconduct, she did not join the #MeToo movement when it began to gain speed.

The actress said, “I thought if ever there were a time when the world would agree that [it is] appropriate to victim-shame someone, it would be when I came forward with my story.”

Even though Fox had experienced injustices and gender-based inequalities, she did not come forward based on previous backlash. Fox also said that she would not be sharing her personal stories with the public.

She commented, “I [do not] feel [it is] my job to punish someone because they did something bad to me.  [I am] not the universal hammer of justice.”

Keertana Panyam (9), a supporter of the #MeToo movement, said about Fox, “There’s nothing wrong with her not wanting to speak up about it because [it is] her story to tell and her future on the line.”

The actress is not new to being mistreated.  Fox has spoken up about misconduct years before, but only received a negative response.

In an interview in 2009 with Wonderland, Fox called out Michael Bay, discussing his comments during filming.  She recalled, “‘Mike’ I’ll say, ‘Who am I talking to? Where am I supposed to be looking at?’ And he responds, ‘Just be sexy.’”

Fox received heavy criticism for a comment comparing Michael Bay to Hitler.  Later, the anonymous crew of the Transformers movie retaliated with a statement against her.

It read, “Megan really is a thankless, classless, graceless, and shall we say unfriendly [expletive].” The statement sarcastically compared Fox to Angelina Jolie, said that a job as a porn star would suit her more, and called her acting “cringe-able.”

Coupled with a comment from Michael Bay calling her “hard to work with,” Fox received extensive backlash and a damaged reputation.  Even when the #MeToo movement arose, she did not speak up for fear of more public criticism.

Shruti Penumarti (9), another supporter of #MeToo, said, “What happened to Megan Fox is awful.  No one should have to be afraid to speak up about injustices.”

Fox has reconciled with Michael Bay, but has not added a direct voice to the dialogue concerning #MeToo.

Ashley Kim, Staff Writer

Ashley Kim is a Staff Writer for Smoke Signals and a freshman at West High. She has love for neat handwriting and artistic journaling, along with writing,...

• Megan Fox and #MeToo

Olivia Jade’s USC Admissions Scandal

• Megan Fox and #MeToo

Captain Marvel Soars in Popularity

• Megan Fox and #MeToo

Speech and Debate State Qualifier Tournament

• Megan Fox and #MeToo

West High’s 2019 Talent Show

• Megan Fox and #MeToo

R. Kelly Pleads Not Guilty to Sexual Abuse Charges

• Megan Fox and #MeToo

Free Solo:Climbing New Heights at the Oscars

• Megan Fox and #MeToo

Famous Unconditional Surrender Statue Graffitied

• Megan Fox and #MeToo

America’s Got Talent Past Champion Takes the Win Again

• Megan Fox and #MeToo

Fashion Designer Karl Lagerfeld Dies

• Megan Fox and #MeToo

Ariana Grande’s Thank U, Next Predicted to Top Charts

Megan Fox and #MeToo