Thousand Oaks Suffering After Shooting And Fire

Residents watch as the Woolsey fire burns in the West Hills area of the San Fernando Valley. (Photo by Andy Holzman, CONTRIBUTING PHOTOGRAPHER)

Andy Holzman

Andy Holzman

Andy Holzman

Danielle Perea, Staff Writer

On November 7th, the Thousand Oaks community was devastated by a mass shooting at the Borderline Bar & Grill, which killed twelve people. Soon after, the Woolsey Fire affected the city.

One of the victims of the shooting was sheriff’s sergeant Ron Helus, an officer who was one of the first to respond at the scene. Helus exchanged gunfire with the shooter before dying. Another victim was Telemachus Orfanos, a survivor of the 2017 Las Vegas shooting that took the lives of 59 people.

The gunman, Ian David Long, was a Marine veteran who was described as having early warning signs as there was something wrong with him. Long opened fire on the bar before killing himself.

As usual, there are different opinions on how to stop shootings like these. The family of the youngest victim, Alaina Housley, who was also the niece of Tamera Mowry-Housley and Adam Housley, feel that gun violence is an issue and should be solved by paying attention to those who show potential to become mass shooters, rather than being solved with gun control.

Orfanos’ mother thinks otherwise. She feels that sending thoughts and prayers will not solve mass shootings and that taking action is the only solution.

Izel Arambula (10) agrees with her viewpoint. She said, “To stop shootings, the best thing to do is take away the option of a weapon. We need gun control.”

Lily Mihailovic (10) believes in a combination of both mindsets. She said, “We have to come together as a country in order to provide more awareness of mental health and focus on passing stricter laws on gun control.”

Many have been grieving in the aftermath of the shooting. The Real paid tribute to Housley, where the co-hosts of the show read tweets from Mowry-Housley about Housley’s death.

Meanwhile, the Woolsey Fire is now at 62% containment. The fire resulted in three confirmed deaths and burned 98,362 acres, according to CBS.

Thousand Oaks’ situation is yet another example of how disaster waits for no one.

Danielle Perea, Staff Writer

Danielle Perea is a Staff Writer for Smoke Signals. She enjoys music, playing the tenor saxophone, and chillin with her homie (her pet guinea pig.)

• Thousand Oaks Suffering After Shooting And Fire

Ariana Grande Drops A New Bop

Pete Davidson Speaks Out On Bullying

Ranveer and Deepika Tie the Knot in Extravagant Indian Wedding

Queen Rises To Stardom On The Big Screen

Spongebob Creator Passes Away

Big Roar From The Lion King

Comic Book Legend Stan Lee Dead

‘Megyn Kelly Today’ Canceled from NBC

Red Dead Redemption 2 And Its Many Details

Simone Biles Perseveres In The World Championships