Demi Moore Shares Her Story of Struggles and Successes

Courtesy of USA Today

Courtesy of USA Today

Ulia Zaman, Staff Writer

Demi Moore, an American actress, model, and former songwriter, has opened up about the struggles she endured during the early stages of her career. On Saturday, while accepting the Woman of the Year award from Peggy Albrecht Friendly House, the Los Angeles recovery center and sober living program, the “Empire” star talked about the tough times that she has had to face and overcome in order to get to where she is now.

Moore said, “Early in my career, I was spiraling down a path of real self-destruction. No matter what successes I had, I just never felt good enough.”

The actress spoke about how she eventually decided to reach out to the people around her for help. Luckily, she was able to receive the support and encouragement that she needed from “two people that [she] barely know.” Moore didn’t identify these two people, but she did reveal how their support helped her gain more confidence and grow stronger. In today’s society, self-confidence is an issue that many people struggle with and most of the time, all they need is just a few words of encouragement to be able to get back on their feet.

Edward Fu (10), a member of Women of West, a club that advocates for the rights of women, provided some advice for those who may be struggling with similar issues. He said, “Just believe in yourself. Even when the odds are against you, never give up, because if you give up, [you will] never win.”

In a 2012 People magazine article, it was reported that prior to shooting St. Elmo’s Fire, Moore had undergone rehabilitation for drug and alcohol abuse. In 2012, after collapsing due to convulsions, she was hospitalized for several days. Seeing how she has been able to overcome these dangerous obstacles and achieve such great successes in her life gives hope to many all over the world.

Nalani Higa (10), an admiring fan who respects Moore for her strength, stated, “It makes me hopeful about going on in life, that [there is] hope for women and [that] they can be successful as well. Things like [the Woman of the Year award] can make a big change, and even if it [does not] have an immediate impact, it could teach us a useful lesson.”

In today’s time, where there are so many young people that feel unsure or scared about the future, it is very helpful to hear the story of an inspiring role model, such as Moore. Moore has often expressed her desire to help and be a role model for young women all around the world.

Ulia Zaman, Staff Writer

Ulia Zaman is a Staff Writer for Smoke Signals and a junior at West High. She is lively and passionate about all the activities she is involved in. She...

• Demi Moore Shares Her Story of Struggles and Successes

‘Megyn Kelly Today’ Canceled from NBC

Red Dead Redemption 2 And Its Many Details

Simone Biles Perseveres In The World Championships

Joji Drops Debut Album

Selma Blair Opens Up About Her Battle with Multiple Sclerosis

The Issues With Horror Films of Today

Delayed Release of Wonder Woman 1984

Halloween Slashes Its Way Back Into Theaters

A Wicked Return

Cardi B Arrested For Endangerment And Assault