Joji Drops Debut Album

Courtesy of HypeBeast

Courtesy of HypeBeast

Courtesy of HypeBeast

Aleeza Adnan, Staff Writer

On October 26th, Joji released his debut album, Ballads 1, which has twelve songs including “Test Drive” and “Yeah Right”. Fans have anticipated this album since it was first announced in September 2018.

This is not Joji’s first album, as he has previously released Pink Season in 2017, under the stage name “Pink Guy.” Joji had then adopted the name “Joji” for his EP, In Tongues, which was released last year in November.

Stacy Wong (11), who listens to Joji’s songs, said, “I think his newer songs are different from his old songs but just as good, if not better. This album seems to be more mainstream, but I still really enjoy his singing.”

His album features collaborations with various singers such as Clams Casino, Trippie Redd, D33J, and Shlohmo. Joji also produced four music videos for his album which have received millions of views on YouTube.

Joji’s most popular video is for the power ballad “Slow Dancing In the Dark,” which was directed by Jared Hogan and has received 23 million views. In the video, he can be seen wearing a white suit while smoking a cigarette. It has an eerie rhythm to it, as Joji can be seen having trouble maintaining his balance as he rambles in the middle of the night.

Krischan Jung (11) has seen the music videos and said, “I have heard [“Slow Dancing in the Dark”] on Instagram explore. His music videos were dark and seemed really cool.”

It is a new style of music genre for Joji, as he has mostly released abstract comedic songs, but is now transitioning towards R&B and Soul music.

A music critic for Riff Magazine, Max Heilman, reviewed Joji’s songs and stated, “This album’s four singles display an encouraging amount of growth. The propulsive beat and Post Malone-esque flow of ‘Yeah Right’ pushes him beyond his established form.”

His fans are still supportive of him regardless of the music genre he uses. Joji has received positive acclaim from the audience and fans are already waiting for him to go on tour.

Aleeza Adnan, Staff Writer

Aleeza Adnan is a junior at West High and a Staff Writer for Smoke Signals. She is also on the West High Speech and Debate team and is very passionate...

• Joji Drops Debut Album

‘Megyn Kelly Today’ Canceled from NBC

• Joji Drops Debut Album

Red Dead Redemption 2 And Its Many Details

• Joji Drops Debut Album

Simone Biles Perseveres In The World Championships

• Joji Drops Debut Album

Demi Moore Shares Her Story of Struggles and Successes

• Joji Drops Debut Album

Selma Blair Opens Up About Her Battle with Multiple Sclerosis

• Joji Drops Debut Album

The Issues With Horror Films of Today

• Joji Drops Debut Album

Delayed Release of Wonder Woman 1984

• Joji Drops Debut Album

Halloween Slashes Its Way Back Into Theaters

• Joji Drops Debut Album

A Wicked Return

• Joji Drops Debut Album

Cardi B Arrested For Endangerment And Assault

Joji Drops Debut Album