Halloween Slashes Its Way Back Into Theaters

Courtesy of Esquire

Courtesy of Esquire

Dominic Herrera, Staff Writer

Forty years after the horror classic was released, the Halloween series returns to cinemas on October 19th, 2018.

The hype for the movie has been building up ever since the first details of the movie were revealed. It was announced in May 2016 that a sequel to the 1978 original would be released and over the following months, the choices for casting would be unveiled. When the trailer was released, receiving millions of views, the excitement increased even more.

An avid fan of the series, James Boff (9),  shared his excitement. He said, “[I am] really excited to see it because [it is] one of my favorite horror series of all time.”

Directed by David Gordon Green, the two main stars of the original movie, Nick Castle and Jamie Lee Curtis, reprise their roles in the latest installment, with Castle as Michael Myers, the main antagonist, and Curtis as Laurie Strode, Meyers’ younger sister.

In the movie, it had been almost four decades after Myers first came to his hometown of Haddonfield, Illinois and brutally murdered his helpless victims. He returns to his hometown after escaping from a prison transfer, ready to murder as many victims as he can. However, his sister Laurie is waiting for him, armed and ready to seek vengeance for the trauma he caused her.

Since the first movie came out, a long line of sequels has spawned from the franchise, with six under the canon of the original. A reboot was launched in 2007 of the same title of the original movie and had a sequel, but was cancelled before a third movie was to be released. The latest movie seeks to erase the timeline of the sequels that follow the 1978 original and acts as a direct continuation of the original.

Co-writer of the new movie, Danny McBride, has addressed the timeline of the movies and why he chose to erase the canon of the sequels.

He said, “I just felt like that was an area where (Michael Myers) [was not] quite as scary anymore.”

A fan of horror movies, Presley Wheeler (10) said, “I absolutely love horror movies and because Halloween is such a classic movie, I would love to see what they do different compared to the original.”

With high expectations raised, Halloween is looking to be the movie in the franchise that fans have been eagerly waiting for years.

Dominic Herrera, Staff Writer

Dominic Herrera is a freshman at West High and a Staff Writer for Smoke Signals. He's an active member of the West High Advanced Band. He enjoys reading...

• Halloween Slashes Its Way Back Into Theaters

Music in the City of Brotherly Love

Apple Announces Long-Awaited Streaming TV Service

MSA Hosts Memorial For New Zealand Victims

James Gunn Rehired For Guardians Of The Galaxy 3

Fourteen Actresses, Fourteen Countries

Olivia Jade’s USC Admissions Scandal

Captain Marvel Soars in Popularity

Speech and Debate State Qualifier Tournament

West High’s 2019 Talent Show

R. Kelly Pleads Not Guilty to Sexual Abuse Charges