The Return of Hellboy

Courtesy of SuperHeroHype

Courtesy of SuperHeroHype

Courtesy of SuperHeroHype

Ashley Kim, Staff Writer

A reboot of Guillermo del Toro’s Hellboy will be released next year on April 12, 2019. Directed by Neil Marshall and written by Andrew Cosby, the supernatural film is based on the Dark Horse Comics by Mike Mignola.

The main movie stars are David Harbour as Hellboy and Milla Jovovich as the main antagonist, the Blood Queen. Among the rest of the cast include Ian McShane, Sasha Lane, Brian Gleeson, Daniel Dae Kim, and Sophie Okonedo.

Del Toro’s original series, Hellboy (2004) and Hellboy II: The Golden Army (2008), starred Ron Perlman as Hellboy, the demon raised by the fictional Bureau for Paranormal Research and Defense to protect humanity against supernatural foes. A third movie was planned by del Toro, but the first two were not successful enough to warrant a sequel.

The idea for a Hellboy reboot started in 2014 by Mignola and Cosby. Del Toro was asked to direct the movie, which was then intended to be a sequel; however, he declined as did Perlman.

Writer Andrew Cosby commented, “This is a darker, more gruesome version of Hellboy.  Neil said from the very beginning that he wanted to walk a razor’s edge between horror and comic book movie.”

The movie will draw much of the storyline from Mignola’s comic book The Wild Hunt, with Hellboy fighting the Blood Queen, a medieval sorceress intent on destructive revenge.  Blending supernatural, action, and horror themes, the movie will be rated R.

Gavin Piedra (9), aware of the prequels and interested in the 2019 release, said, “I have seen [Hellboy] when I was younger and was definitely frightened by the character.  However, I do think [that] where [they are] taking the character concept visually and story-wise will be cleaner than the other two.”

While some fans are excited for the darker themes and elements that del Toro did not include in the original movies, others have expressed uncertainty.

Tasneem Elsayed (9), a fan of the supernatural and action movie genre, said, “Although [I am] interested in the subject matter of Hellboy, the reboot is going to be darker, so [I am] not sure if I would watch it.”

An official trailer or teaser has not yet been released, but the movie poster came out and the movie will be holding a panel at New York Comic Con.

• The Return of Hellboy

A Wicked Return

• The Return of Hellboy

USS Wasp Denied Permission To Dock

• The Return of Hellboy

Cosby Gets Sentenced For Sexual Assault

• The Return of Hellboy

Meghan Markle’s First Solo Project: A Charity Cookbook

• The Return of Hellboy

2018 Emmys Held Unanticipated Results

• The Return of Hellboy

Fan Bingbing Mysteriously Goes Missing

• The Return of Hellboy

Pay To Play With Nintendo Switch Online

• The Return of Hellboy

Social Media Star Loses Fight to Cystic Fibrosis

• The Return of Hellboy

Singers, Sports, and Surfboards For The Win

• The Return of Hellboy

Editorial

It’s Not the Class. It’s Me.

The Return of Hellboy